Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thiers-Issard from The Art of Shaving (TAoS) shop

  1. #11
    Senior Member mjsorkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,139
    Thanked: 173

    Default

    The aos razors that I've seen have all looked pretty good as far as fit and finish. Some of the edges get messed up in store by customers. At the one near me they have let people strop the razors, the edge and strop both suffered.

    I would send it out for honing. But there isn't any reason you can't try shaving your cheeks with it first. That will give you the best idea of its shave-worthiness. No more paper!

    Do you have a strop? You will need one for daily use. I also strongly suggest a brush and good shaving cream. Check out some of the advertisers on this site for a place to get some gear.

    As for the logo, I don't think it matters. Since its a gift (and your first razor) its sentimental value outweighs its resale value IMO. Keep it, enjoy it, use it frequently.

    Michael
    “there is the danger that the ignorant man may easily underdose himself and by exposing his microbes to nonlethal quantities of the drug make them resistant.”---Fleming

  2. #12
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    5,647
    Thanked: 2749

    Default

    AOS TI’s are not shave ready, and yes the etching does come off easily.

    New TI’s are not the Vintage TI’s of old. Nowhere near as hard, not as finished, but they are nice razors, for a production razor and will serve you well.

    AOS soap is a very nice soap, a bit pricy but a rich lather maker.

    As said, cherish the gift, but do send it out for honing.
    mjsorkin likes this.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    hello, i'm new myself. my mom got me the aos dovo online.i did some reading online about it might needing honing. so i just went ahead and shaved with it anyways. 2 passes on my face. it sliced through the hair nice and clean till the end of the second pass. i got a strop coming in the mail and i'm going to grab some paste and see if it does the trick. i will be so happy if i dont have to send my razor out for a honing. try shaving with it and decide for urself if it should be honed or a good stroping. its all about preference imo

  4. #14
    GC7
    GC7 is offline
    Senior Member GC7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Westchester County, NY
    Posts
    164
    Thanked: 28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedFox86 View Post
    i will be so happy if i dont have to send my razor out for a honing. try shaving with it and decide for urself if it should be honed or a good stroping. its all about preference imo
    I am relatively new to straights as well though I will now call myself proficient. I would very respectfully suggest to you that if you have never shaved with a properly honed razor you will not have a benchmark to compare the efficiency of your razor from that time forward. How will you know what to expect from your razor in the future YEARS? If only once get it done right. I believe it will be worth the small cash outlay.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to GC7 For This Useful Post:

    mjsorkin (01-13-2014)

  6. #15
    Senior Member mjsorkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,139
    Thanked: 173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedFox86 View Post
    hello, i'm new myself. my mom got me the aos dovo online.i did some reading online about it might needing honing. so i just went ahead and shaved with it anyways. 2 passes on my face. it sliced through the hair nice and clean till the end of the second pass. i got a strop coming in the mail and i'm going to grab some paste and see if it does the trick. i will be so happy if i dont have to send my razor out for a honing. try shaving with it and decide for urself if it should be honed or a good stroping. its all about preference imo
    Hi, welcome to the hobby. If you are a little short on cash, then I'd be happy to hone your dovo for no money. Just pm me if at some point you feel the razor needs to be touched up.

    Also I'd save at least 40-50$ dollars and go looking for an inexpensive but well regarded strop. There are plenty in that range that actually get used in our community.

    Michael
    GC7 likes this.
    “there is the danger that the ignorant man may easily underdose himself and by exposing his microbes to nonlethal quantities of the drug make them resistant.”---Fleming

  7. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GC7 View Post
    I am relatively new to straights as well though I will now call myself proficient. I would very respectfully suggest to you that if you have never shaved with a properly honed razor you will not have a benchmark to compare the efficiency of your razor from that time forward. How will you know what to expect from your razor in the future YEARS? If only once get it done right. I believe it will be worth the small cash outlay.
    dont get me wrong, i plan on sending it out for a honing. just not at the moment. its just that i've only had it for a week or so, and i wanna use it a couple of more times before i send it out. for the time being it shaves nicley so i'm not in a rush. i'm already bummed out that i had to mail my camera back to go pro (got it for christmas). i hate waiting lol

  8. #17
    It's bloodletting with style! - Jim KindestCutOfAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    ~ California, USA ~ The state of denial!!!
    Posts
    615
    Thanked: 118

    Default

    Satom, if you can change your profile and add where you live, you may be able to find someone near you that can assist. I just attended a meet at Euclid440's house (thanks again Marty) on Sunday and learned a lot.

    If you don't want to post your location you may want to reach out to a senior member near you and ask for assistance. Hands on is always the best way to learn.

  9. #18
    Senior Member quicksilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    225
    Thanked: 24

    Default

    To comment on the brand, Art of Shaving as far as I'm concerned is a reputable company. They sell good quality razors, cream, and brushes. However, they do have a reputation for being unnecessarily expensive. Just my opinion. :-) Enjoy that TI, that's a nice razor.
    mjsorkin likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •