Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Bloodletter shiznix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    95
    Thanked: 14

    Default My first shave + impression

    Hello guys

    second post here.

    First of all, I would like to thank all of you guys for this fine and legit community.
    I bought a straight razor from dovo 2 hours ago. The guy from the shop who sold it said it would be shave ready.... can't really tell if that's true, but I guess he wouldn't tell me bullcrap.
    I also got me a strop, shaving cream + a badger hair brush.
    Cost me 300 swiss franks, which is roughly the same as US dollars these days.

    Being the lunatic I am, I jumped straight in it. My first impression:

    I am impressed.

    Let me tell you my negative impressions first though.

    1) I now have a hell of a razorburn. It feels different than what I was feeling when I shaved my face with a Gillette Mach3 + Gillette shaving gel. I guess this is due to the numbing chemicals in the Gillette gel.
    I guess this will eventually change with accomodation and increase of skill.

    2) I found myself sometimes holding the blade with two hands. This causes a problem, since I need to stretch my skin. And stretching my skin is hard enough as it is as I absolutely, positively need to wear my glasses when shaving (I refuse to put on contacts since I consider my glasses a part of my body, lolol).


    However, there are some very good impressions too.

    1) It's much less hard than I thought it would be. I did not even cut myself!

    2) I did not dare shave in 3 passes. Except for my cheeks. I did two passes on all the other parts of my face, except for around my throat where I did not dare shave at all. My cheecks however, feel absolutely smooth. Much better than what I could possibly ever achieve with a Mach3.
    Even the areas where I only did two passes feel very, very smooth. Also, better than with a mach3.

    Things I have learned:


    1)Respect the blade! It's sharper than anything I have ever held in my hands.
    2) Don't be irrational or foolish. If I don't feel comfortable with shaving a particular area, such as around my throat, don't do it. If my hands are trembling, put the razor away and listen to some music for one or two minutes.
    3) Don't be hasty. I am doing something for its aesthetical value and because it is cool (and hopefully going to save me money, too).

    BTW, I never shower or shave in the morning. I hate that. It gives me the feeling that it robs me 30 minutes of my precious slumber. I always do that before I go to bed. And that certainly won't change, ever.


    All in all, I have to say that it's been a very pleasant experience. I am certainly going to stick with it.


    thanks again for you guys, this community sure has (further) encouraged me to take this step, a step I so far do certainly not regret.

    Best of wishes from switzerland.

  2. #2
    Member Longrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Nation of Texas
    Posts
    86
    Thanked: 40

    Default

    A few thoughts from another new guy

    Oh yea they be real sharp. Sharper than any thing I have ever held, even scalpels. Definitely respect the blade, but don't be shy.

    I have only had one morning where the Witch Hazel has even tingled (day 2) I believe.

    Let the blade do the work, do not force it and the burn will not be there.

    Keep the angle shallow (about 30 degrees or less).

    Good prep (face and razor).

    Take your time.

    I know there is a lot more for me to learn, however I am getting the hang of it as well.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Longrange For This Useful Post:

    shiznix (08-07-2010)

  4. #3
    The original Skolor and Gentileman. gugi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,408
    Thanked: 3901
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Well, razor burn is indication that you are using too much pressure, which is to be expected when you don't have experience. Dovo markets their razors as shave ready when they leave the factory (and so does Thiers-Issard), which in most cases isn't quite the case. The vendor may or may not know how shave-ready should a razor be. There's a difference between a shaving razor and really well honed razor and even if you may not be able to tell the difference right now in a week you will be. You can ask the vendor if somebody has honed the razor after it left the factory, if not it is probably a good idea to find somebody experienced to do it for you, or if in doubt how much of a difference it makes pick up another inexpensive shave-ready razor from a well experienced member in the classifieds and you'll know.

    It's best to start slow, do few strokes with the grain on your cheeks and slowly expand the area with each shave. As you build muscle memory you will find it less awkward to hold the razor, or having to use two hands.

    It'll save you money only if you learn how to do it well and stick to it, while at the same time not becoming a collector.

    Making the beard soft is quite important, so take the time to get that part done, especially since you are not having a shower beforehand.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to gugi For This Useful Post:

    shiznix (08-07-2010)

  6. #4
    Bloodletter shiznix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    95
    Thanked: 14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gugi View Post
    Well, razor burn is indication that you are using too much pressure, which is to be expected when you don't have experience. Dovo markets their razors as shave ready when they leave the factory (and so does Thiers-Issard), which in most cases isn't quite the case. The vendor may or may not know how shave-ready should a razor be. There's a difference between a shaving razor and really well honed razor and even if you may not be able to tell the difference right now in a week you will be. You can ask the vendor if somebody has honed the razor after it left the factory, if not it is probably a good idea to find somebody experienced to do it for you, or if in doubt how much of a difference it makes pick up another inexpensive shave-ready razor from a well experienced member in the classifieds and you'll know.

    It's best to start slow, do few strokes with the grain on your cheeks and slowly expand the area with each shave. As you build muscle memory you will find it less awkward to hold the razor, or having to use two hands.

    It'll save you money only if you learn how to do it well and stick to it, while at the same time not becoming a collector.

    Making the beard soft is quite important, so take the time to get that part done, especially since you are not having a shower beforehand.

    Thx for your reply ;-)


    Well, there are obvious marks of honing on the upper edge of the blade on both sides.

    But I don't think the vendor honed it, since there was an intact seal on the metal casing it was shipped in.


    Quite frankly, I don't know anyone who could hone a razor. Perhaps I should try it myself even though I risk damaging my razor?

  7. #5
    Senior Member Bnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    130
    Thanked: 16

    Default First shave

    Yes these things are sharp as I learned today on my first shave. Barley touched my face at a bad angle did not even know I cut myself until it started bleeding now that is sharp.

  8. #6
    The original Skolor and Gentileman. gugi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,408
    Thanked: 3901
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Well if the box was sealed that settles it, you have the factory edge.

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznix View Post
    Quite frankly, I don't know anyone who could hone a razor. Perhaps I should try it myself even though I risk damaging my razor?
    I really wouldn't, unless you are going to mail it anyways, so if you mess the edge it'll get fixed again. I don't know anybody honing in switzerland either, but there are people in Germany, Belgium, UK that shouldn't be too far, although the important factor is not the distance but the postal service.
    If you're not really averse to vintage razors I'd get a well honed inexpensive one.

    If you are going to try improving on the edge make sure you get good plan of action. The things you should try first are in order from the least aggressive: (1) good stropping on canvas then leather (100/100 laps) (2) stropping on newspaper (100 laps) (2) stropping on a 0.5u chromium oxide (10 laps). If not enough improvement you'll have to go to more aggressive pastes or hones.
    Take a good read through the forum threads and ask questions first.

  9. #7
    Bloodletter shiznix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    95
    Thanked: 14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gugi View Post
    Well if the box was sealed that settles it, you have the factory edge.


    I really wouldn't, unless you are going to mail it anyways, so if you mess the edge it'll get fixed again. I don't know anybody honing in switzerland either, but there are people in Germany, Belgium, UK that shouldn't be too far, although the important factor is not the distance but the postal service.
    If you're not really averse to vintage razors I'd get a well honed inexpensive one.

    If you are going to try improving on the edge make sure you get good plan of action. The things you should try first are in order from the least aggressive: (1) good stropping on canvas then leather (100/100 laps) (2) stropping on newspaper (100 laps) (2) stropping on a 0.5u chromium oxide (10 laps). If not enough improvement you'll have to go to more aggressive pastes or hones.
    Take a good read through the forum threads and ask questions first.

    Thx for the reply.

    I just found out something that's really cool. Right next to me, about 200 meters to my appartment, lives a professional cutler. He told me by E-Mail that he would hone my razor for 21 bucks.

    Not bad of a price, especially since I just have to get on my bike, drop by, wait a couple of minutes and get my ass-sharp razor back home ;-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •