Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First SR attempt.

  1. #11
    Pasted Man Castel33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,283
    Thanked: 269

    Default

    If you want to soften a shavette blade it is the same as a de blade. Cork it

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    FL Panhandle, Western NC, East Central AL
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Cork it? Is that a new shaving term? Can you be more specific?

    Mitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Castel33 View Post
    If you want to soften a shavette blade it is the same as a de blade. Cork it

  3. #13
    Indisposed
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,038
    Thanked: 1194

    Default

    Corking is the practice of running a blade over a piece of cork (a wine cork works well ) once or twice, the idea being that it will dull an extremely sharp edge down to a more comfortable level. Usually when guys talk about "corking" they are talking about Feather blades, which I daresay are the sharpest blades on the planet.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan82 For This Useful Post:

    BanjoTom (07-05-2012), ScottGoodman (07-05-2012)

  5. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    FL Panhandle, Western NC, East Central AL
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan82 View Post
    Corking is the practice of running a blade over a piece of cork (a wine cork works well ) once or twice, the idea being that it will dull an extremely sharp edge down to a more comfortable level. Usually when guys talk about "corking" they are talking about Feather blades, which I daresay are the sharpest blades on the planet.
    Thanks for the enlightenment! I had never heard the term. I have some Feathers that I got in a sampler, but have only used one so far. I have been using a FatBoy and a Slim but set on 3, medium mild with various sampler blades. So far, I have not noticed any remarkable difference in blades, except the Wilkinsons from Wally World, which are good for about one half of a shave. Do you have an opinion on the relative sharpness of the Sharks that come with the Parker and Feathers?

    Tnx for any input.

    Mitch

  6. #15
    Indisposed
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,038
    Thanked: 1194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sempra View Post
    Do you have an opinion on the relative sharpness of the Sharks that come with the Parker and Feathers?
    Mitch,

    I've only used Shark DE blades, not the shavette variety - whether or not there's a difference would be a question for someone else. I can say that I'm not a fan of the Shark brand though. I've used them in all my DE's and have had the same experience: lack of smoothness, lack of sharpness and a shave that is not nearly as close as other blades can provide. I'll work my way through my last couple packs, but will not be replacing them once they are gone. Yet others seem to love them. As we say, YMMV.

  7. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    FL Panhandle, Western NC, East Central AL
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan82 View Post
    Mitch,

    I've only used Shark DE blades, not the shavette variety - whether or not there's a difference would be a question for someone else. I can say that I'm not a fan of the Shark brand though. I've used them in all my DE's and have had the same experience: lack of smoothness, lack of sharpness and a shave that is not nearly as close as other blades can provide. I'll work my way through my last couple packs, but will not be replacing them once they are gone. Yet others seem to love them. As we say, YMMV.
    I'm going to make one more pass WTG, making 3 total with the Shavette Shark. Then I think will switch to a BIC and try it. Since this is only my third time with the Shavette, and my technique is being developed, I don't want to blame the blade for anything. But I like the BICs in my FatBoy.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Mitch

  8. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    FL Panhandle, Western NC, East Central AL
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sempra View Post
    Well, I worked up enough courage to try my Parker shavette with the Shark blade last night. It is going to take some practice. I only tried WTG, and only managed to nick myself once. I finished my normal three pass shave with my FatBoy.

    I plan to start each shave with the Parker shavette for a week or two to get the hang of things before switching to a "real" SR.

    Does this sound like a good plan? Practice with the shavette until comfortable, then switch to a real SR?

    Mitch
    Made my second practice SR shave last night, took Lynn's advice and switched to my left hand to shave the left side. Only nicked myself very slightly once, which really surprised me. After all, wrong hand, reversed in mirror, this will take some getting used to. I'll see how it goes tonight!

    I'm having fun and learning a new physical skill!

    Mitch

  9. #18
    Senior Member ZeroCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    650
    Thanked: 81

    Default

    I started out with the Parker and Sharks...those blades ( for my face ), were a bit harsh. Might be different for you though.

    Anyway, after about 2 shaves with that, I ordered a Dovo best and found that MUCH nicer of a shave. Not saying get a Dovo Best, just know the shaves are much smoother with a standard straight.

    You're on the right track though

  10. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    FL Panhandle, Western NC, East Central AL
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    I've obtained a Filly Pou that I intend to use once I get comfortable and am sure it is shave ready. I decided to start with the Parker Shavette because 1.) It was cheap, 2.) I knew the blades would be "shave ready", and 3.) it was cheap. Did I mention that I am cheap? Once I am comfortable with my technique I will switch to a REAL SR!

    Mitch


    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    I started out with the Parker and Sharks...those blades ( for my face ), were a bit harsh. Might be different for you though.

    Anyway, after about 2 shaves with that, I ordered a Dovo best and found that MUCH nicer of a shave. Not saying get a Dovo Best, just know the shaves are much smoother with a standard straight.

    You're on the right track though

  11. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    FL Panhandle, Western NC, East Central AL
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sempra View Post
    Well, I worked up enough courage to try my Parker shavette with the Shark blade last night. It is going to take some practice. I only tried WTG, and only managed to nick myself once. I finished my normal three pass shave with my FatBoy.

    I plan to start each shave with the Parker shavette for a week or two to get the hang of things before switching to a "real" SR.

    Does this sound like a good plan? Practice with the shavette until comfortable, then switch to a real SR?

    Mitch
    Made my third attempt at SR shaving with the Parker Shavette last night. I'm doing ok on my right side with my right hand. Not so well on my left side using my left hand - I am right handed. I did much worse this shave left handed than the first.

    I got a couple of nicks and some weepers on my left side. I thinking that I need to SLOOOOOWWWWW down, especially using my left hand. After all, the joy is in the journey, not reaching the destination.

    Mitch
    ScottGoodman likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •