Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Very Hard Water Soaps/Creams

  1. #11
    aka shooter74743 ScottGoodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SE Oklahoma/NE Texas
    Posts
    6,942
    Thanked: 1812
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I was in Las Las Vegas last week and Prorasso single edge and The Art of Shaving citrus (got it at a a shop there) treated me well and they have quite hard water.
    rolodave likes this.
    Southeastern Oklahoma/Northeastern Texas helper. Please don't hesitate to contact me.
    Thank you and God Bless, Scott

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    965
    Thanked: 257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rolodave View Post
    First I heard of that.
    The citric acid in lemon juice serves as a chelating agent to combine with the calcium and magnesium ions in the hard water. Although the ions are still present, they are less available to react with the fatty acids of the soap.
    Some shaving soaps contain citric acid to help with hard water tolerance.

    Citric acid is often used in powered form when canning fruits and some vegetables to act as a preservative. You can purchase it in the canning section of stores. However, in this instance, the citric acid is not obtain from natural sources such as lemons and lime, but it derived as a byproduct of black mold consuming sugar. If you see citric acid listed as an ingredient in products (including foods), it will have been derived in this manner.
    ScottGoodman and outback like this.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RayClem For This Useful Post:

    bluesman7 (10-28-2019), BobH (10-27-2019), rolodave (10-27-2019), ScottGoodman (10-28-2019)

  4. #13
    The Hurdy Gurdy Man thebigspendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    29,482
    Thanked: 4767
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Citric Acid is also used to clean hard water deposits out of appliances. It works similar to vinegar.
    rolodave likes this.
    No matter how many men you kill you can't kill your successor-Emperor Nero

  5. #14
    Senior Member PaulFLUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    741
    Thanked: 91

    Default

    Florida has such hard.water.you can plan on a water heater replacement every ten years if not sooner. It clogs the drain in my shower. I have never done anything to compensate for shaving soap but then maybe I just don't know any better. I do know that lemon juice works well to prevent and even help remedy kidney stones. Citric acid also works. Instead of spending money on distilled water I think I would first try a Brita filter pitcher. Quite sure it is cheaper than gallon jugs of distilled.
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. PR 27:17

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    965
    Thanked: 257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulFLUS View Post
    Florida has such hard.water.you can plan on a water heater replacement every ten years if not sooner. It clogs the drain in my shower. I have never done anything to compensate for shaving soap but then maybe I just don't know any better. I do know that lemon juice works well to prevent and even help remedy kidney stones. Citric acid also works. Instead of spending money on distilled water I think I would first try a Brita filter pitcher. Quite sure it is cheaper than gallon jugs of distilled.

    It sounds like you need to install a whole house water softener.
    rolodave and PaulFLUS like this.

  7. #16
    Senior Member PaulFLUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    741
    Thanked: 91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayClem View Post
    It sounds like you need to install a whole house water softener.
    I definitely should. Especially since both my son and I have had kidney stones more than once. He had one that was 9 mm and looked like a giant sand spur. They had to go get that one. Two years ago I had a kidney removed because of renal cell carcinoma. That was the same kidney that I kept getting the stones in. I asked the doctor if he thought that had anything to do with the cancer and he said it's hard to tell but probably not. We sort of jokingly talk about having a spare kidney but in reality that's kind of how it works. Both of them work but one of them typically carries more load than the other one. This according to the doctor not to me.
    I actually have a faucet filter for all of the water that I ingest but a water softener system would probably pay for itself in wear an tear on appliances and cost of detergent and soaps. A pretty good percentage of the people in Florida do have whole house water filters. Florida has no bed rock. We sit on a giant sandbar which is mainly limestone. All our water filters through the limestone which actually keeps it pretty clean it's just hard as a rock.
    Last edited by PaulFLUS; 10-29-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    ScottGoodman and rolodave like this.
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. PR 27:17

  8. #17
    Senior Member blabbermouth outback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    8,994
    Thanked: 3687

    Default

    Sounds like my water, Paul. So hard...ya gotta chew it before swallowing it. Mines also high in iron, so I gotta nice orange glow about my shower n toilet, each week.

    Have to replace all the seals in the faucets, about every 5-6 years. Bunn coffee pots only last about a year or two, @ $100 each. And sure I'll be looking at another hot water tank, soon. Been about 10 years since I replaced it.! 600$. And that was with the whole house softener, @$40 or more a month, in softener salt and rust remover.

    Took out the softener about 6 years ago, after the hard water ate it up and I woke up to a basement full if salt water. That, eventually ate the bottom out of my pressure tank. Been thinking about a demand softener to take its place, lack of funds keeps me from pulling the string, though.
    Mike

  9. #18
    Gatling-Gun Jerry Gasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Colorado springs
    Posts
    6,577
    Thanked: 1446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outback View Post
    Sounds like my water, Paul. So hard...ya gotta chew it before swallowing it. Mines also high in iron, so I gotta nice orange glow about my shower n toilet, each week.

    Have to replace all the seals in the faucets, about every 5-6 years. Bunn coffee pots only last about a year or two, @ $100 each. And sure I'll be looking at another hot water tank, soon. Been about 10 years since I replaced it.! 600$. And that was with the whole house softener, @$40 or more a month, in softener salt and rust remover.

    Took out the softener about 6 years ago, after the hard water ate it up and I woke up to a basement full if salt water. That, eventually ate the bottom out of my pressure tank. Been thinking about a demand softener to take its place, lack of funds keeps me from pulling the string, though.

    I couldnt handle that at all!
    outback likes this.
    It's just Sharpening, right?
    Jerry...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •