Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: I broke my shaivng bowl, so I'm building lather with a sock.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 1

    Default I broke my shaving bowl, so I'm building lather with a sock.

    So I broke my shaving bowl recently and I remembered an old method to make lather without a bowl. I'm going to use a regular cotton sock to make my lather. Definitely, not a permanent solution but it might be helpful if you don't have a bowl or brush handy. Are there any other funny ways to make lather out there?

    https://youtu.be/AlWLG914o5Q
    Last edited by sharked; 11-17-2020 at 11:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16,044
    Thanked: 3015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharked View Post
    So I broke my shaving bowl recently and I remembered an old method to make lather without a bowl. I'm going to use a regular cotton sock to make my lather. Definitely, not a permanent solution but it might be helpful if you don't have a bowl or brush handy. Are there any other funny ways to make lather out there?

    https://youtu.be/AlWLG914o5Q
    What is wrong with using your brush and face lathering?

    Bob
    Life is a terminal illness in the end

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    236
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    What is wrong with using your brush and face lathering?

    Bob
    Dirty socks?
    sharked, BobH and thp001 like this.
    If you're wondering I'm probably being sarcastic.

  4. #4
    STF
    STF is offline
    Senior Member STF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Kingsville, Ontario
    Posts
    627
    Thanked: 63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by planeden View Post
    Dirty socks?
    I agree with BobH.

    I soak my brush in a shaving mug but it's too smooth inside to make lather easily so I have to use my scuttle to build lather.

    Unless i feel really decadent and want warm lather i load my brush on the soap and then face lather, it's quick and easy.

    I don't know how a person would lather with a sock but it sounds like a lot of aggro.

    FYI I got a really good Qshave scuttle from amazon very cheaply.
    sharked, rolodave and BobH like this.
    - - Steve

    You never realize what you have until it's gone -- Toilet paper is a good example

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    236
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STF View Post
    I agree with BobH.

    I soak my brush in a shaving mug but it's too smooth inside to make lather easily so I have to use my scuttle to build lather.

    Unless i feel really decadent and want warm lather i load my brush on the soap and then face lather, it's quick and easy.

    I don't know how a person would lather with a sock but it sounds like a lot of aggro.

    FYI I got a really good Qshave scuttle from amazon very cheaply.
    I was just pointing out that a possible negative affect would be that you would not be cleaning your socks.

    I didn't watch the video, but I bet it is the same way you hand wash a sock. Rub soap between two pieces of the sock and viola.
    sharked likes this.
    If you're wondering I'm probably being sarcastic.

  6. #6
    Giveaway Guru. Keeper of the Vault! Gasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    8,084
    Thanked: 1805

    Default

    Im sure this would be for the guy desperate and not having a brush either. But I think Id use a wash cloth before my sock. Even a clean sock. Its just the idea. I mean why not use underwear? Any cloth would do but i bet putting soap in your hands and rubbing your face would work too.
    Last edited by Gasman; 11-17-2020 at 10:37 PM.
    It's just Sharpening, right?
    Jerry...

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    So the idea was that you don't have a bowl or a brush. I've actually tried using a hand towel but I had better results with a thinner cloth, so I went with a sock. Mostly because it's unusual and the shape was convenient to use.

    I already ordered another shaving bowl.

    FYI- The sock isn't dirty.
    rolodave and Gasman like this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    I'd be interested to see if you could make decent lather with just your face and hands. I might give it a try, but I'm not optimistic.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    236
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Ok, I watched the video. After 20 years of making mediocre lather and maybe 1 time of making a decent lather, I'd revert back to mediocre before going through the effort. But, I admit, it did make a good lather.

    Geofatboy at shave Nation has these little travel sticks, I think derby brand, and he had a video of him rubbing it on his dry face and just smearing it with wet hands and making a better lather than I ever have.

    To be fair to myself and bad lathering, so far I've just been to lazy and indifferent to learn to do it right. But I'm working on it, thanks to Gasman.
    sharked, BobH, outback and 3 others like this.
    If you're wondering I'm probably being sarcastic.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to planeden For This Useful Post:

    Gasman (11-18-2020)

  11. #10
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16,044
    Thanked: 3015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharked View Post
    So the idea was that you don't have a bowl or a brush. I've actually tried using a hand towel but I had better results with a thinner cloth, so I went with a sock. Mostly because it's unusual and the shape was convenient to use.

    I already ordered another shaving bowl.

    FYI- The sock isn't dirty.
    I was wondering as the title of the post gave no indication you were negative a brush also. I suppose there are any number of ways to lather up without a bowl or brush.

    Bob
    sharked likes this.
    Life is a terminal illness in the end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •