Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    7,906
    Thanked: 2185
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Razor finds today...

    I managed to pick up 4 razors today!

    1. Hess Otto's Special 200 Wedge, 9/16
    2. Hess 100 6/8
    3. Chinese Double Arrow, the real one
    4. A Japanese straight razor with good grinding but no stamping

    Here is a link

    Hones and razors 07-01-08 - a set on Flickr
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

  2. #2
    Senior Member blabbermouth coachmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bergen County,N.J.
    Posts
    4,339
    Thanked: 832

    Default

    Those are some nice looking razors.....Congrats on the pick-up....NO JEALOUSY HERE!!!!
    Having Fun Shaving

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    234
    Thanked: 9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randydance062449 View Post
    [...]
    1. Hess Otto's Special 200 Wedge, 9/16
    [...]
    I have a few of those Otto's special. Extremely sharp edge, watch out for that spike!

    I would expect a 10/10 shave from that razor.

    Kind regards,


    RH

  4. #4
    Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    7,906
    Thanked: 2185
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The Chinese double arrow is the real McCoy. Has a shoulder grind and stamped on the shank. It is used but still very serviceable. The Japanese razor seems unused. The two Hess razors have some minor issues.
    But for $40? not bad.
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

  5. #5
    Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    7,906
    Thanked: 2185
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richardhead View Post
    I have a few of those Otto's special. Extremely sharp edge, watch out for that spike!

    I would expect a 10/10 shave from that razor.

    Kind regards,


    RH
    Oh yes, I know that very well. I bought out the remaining inventory of those from Hess some time ago and sold most of them. They take a wicked edge!
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

  6. #6
    The original Skolor and Gentileman. gugi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,408
    Thanked: 3901
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Yes indeed not bad at all for $40
    I don't see a picture of the japanese razor though
    And the 'Double Arrow'... that's certainly a step in demystifying the word 'famous' in those ebay listings.

    On unrelated question - whats up with the grooves on those japanese stones? The other one (w/o grooves) is really pretty - it's looks rather similar to some rather high-priced ones on So's website... but you already know that, I guess

  7. #7
    Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    7,906
    Thanked: 2185
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gugi View Post
    Yes indeed not bad at all for $40
    I don't see a picture of the japanese razor though
    And the 'Double Arrow'... that's certainly a step in demystifying the word 'famous' in those ebay listings.

    On unrelated question - whats up with the grooves on those japanese stones? The other one (w/o grooves) is really pretty - it's looks rather similar to some rather high-priced ones on So's website... but you already know that, I guess
    Here is the Japanese razor
    DSCN1682 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

    The stones with the grooves are for wood working gouges/chisels. One of those is rather fine. The white stone with lines in it is the finest. I honed the the DA
    using the natural stones today and found it very interesting. The first job is to determine which are coarse on up to the finest. I think I have now...maybe. I will hone some more tomorrow on those stones.

    I was surprised by how effective the large blue stone is. It is an Aoto. a coarse stone some where in the 500-1000 grit range. It was faster cutting than I expected. One of the chisel hones, the large one, was very fine. I really do need a lot more time to work with the stones before I come to any conclusions. But they are so cool!
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

  8. #8
    Senior Member Garry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Largs ,North Ayrshire , Scotland
    Posts
    587
    Thanked: 39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randydance062449 View Post
    Oh yes, I know that very well. I bought out the remaining inventory of those from Hess some time ago and sold most of them. They take a wicked edge!
    I'm the proud owner of one of said razors and what a fine edge you put on it .. it's still one of my favorite shavers -- one for when you all the time in the world to shave with , I've nicked myself with that point

    Thanks again Randy

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Garry For This Useful Post:

    randydance062449 (07-02-2008)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •