Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member Soopercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    215
    Thanked: 9

    Default British vs American Aristocrat shave

    For those of you who've had the opportunity to use both. Which do you find gives a better shaving experience.

    Kind regards,

  2. #2
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    10,206
    Thanked: 2729

    Default British vs. American Aristocrat Shave

    Quote Originally Posted by Soopercat View Post
    For those of you who've had the opportunity to use both. Which do you find gives a better shaving experience.

    Kind regards,
    Hello, Soopercat:

    Thanks for your post.

    I don't quite understand your question: what is your definition of the British and the American "aristocrat" shave?

    Perhaps a more focused question that includes your definition of these specific shaving methods might help.

    Regards,

    Obie

  3. #3
    Senior Member superbleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    283
    Thanked: 181

    Default

    There are british made and US made versions of similar razors, the aristocrats, for the british I am guessing are the '58 and '66, #16 vs the US aristocrat, president/diplomat.

    From my little experience, I find the british versions look better, but are really mild shavers compared to the US counterparts. The few people I have talked about this all agree with my comments that the UK made ones are milder shavers. Even the open comb #15, # 47 and #77/#88 are pretty mild shavers.

    Bottom line, I feel the US made razors shave better than their UK counterparts, although the UK versions tend to look nicer.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to superbleu For This Useful Post:

    Obie (02-16-2010)

  5. #4
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    10,206
    Thanked: 2729

    Default British vs American Aristocrat Shave

    Quote Originally Posted by superbleu View Post
    There are british made and US made versions of similar razors, the aristocrats, for the british I am guessing are the '58 and '66, #16 vs the US aristocrat, president/diplomat.

    From my little experience, I find the british versions look better, but are really mild shavers compared to the US counterparts. The few people I have talked about this all agree with my comments that the UK made ones are milder shavers. Even the open comb #15, # 47 and #77/#88 are pretty mild shavers.

    Bottom line, I feel the US made razors shave better than their UK counterparts, although the UK versions tend to look nicer.
    Hello, Superbleu:

    I am familiar with the razors. I was just lost in the original question. Your explanation, however, sharpens the question's focus. Many thanks.

    Regards,

    Obie

  6. #5
    Senior Member blabbermouth JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,564
    Thanked: 11039

    Default

    I've had examples of the 15, 16, and 66 for the British made Aristocrats. I sold them to finance more straights. I still have a 1934 open comb USA, a 1947 and a 1950s model. IME the USA made are slightly more aggressive, maybe on par with a red tip super speed but the British versions were fine shavers too.

    The British made are rhodium plated and have barber pole handles that are quite attractive. Some think they are better made but I don't know that I agree with that. The USA models are gold plated and the '34 was the only USA Aristocrat made with the barber pole checkering on the handle.
    Be careful how you treat people on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down.

  7. #6
    Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 8

    Default

    Generally speaking, the British Aristocrats were built to a higher standard and are more refined than their US counterparts. The pre 1950's Brits (#15, #16, #21, #22) had flat, thick base plates which made them a little more head-heavy than the later models with the thinner diamond indention base plates. For me, heavier in the head is better because the weight of the razor helps to promote the proper "no pressure" technique and will keep the blade close to the skin for better performance. As for shave quality, they are all pretty similar with the exception of the 1946-47 US Aristocrat, which I always felt was the most aggressive of any of the Aristocrats. To know which model is a 1946-47 and which is a 1948-50, the 1946-47 has the two smooth bands, and the later versions had one smooth and one knurled (see picture).

    For me personally, I prefer the British Aristocrats for their better build quality, beautiful rhodium plating, and exceptional presentation cases.


  8. #7
    Senior Member blabbermouth JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,564
    Thanked: 11039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    To know which model is a 1946-47 and which is a 1948-50, the 1946-47 has the two smooth bands, and the later versions had one smooth and one knurled
    I've got one of each of those pictured. Of course the '47 doesn't have the notch in the gizmo you slip the blade over. (forgotten my nomenclature) The British HD super speeds are also great DE shavers IME for whatever that is worth.
    Be careful how you treat people on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down.

  9. #8
    . Otto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,727
    Thanked: 3707

    Default


    Would this one, made in the good old USA, be a 1946-47 then?
    It is a great shaver, for a DE


    "Cheap Tools Is Misplaced Economy. Always buy the best and highest grade of razors, hones and strops. Then you are prepared to do the best work."
    - Napoleon LeBlanc, 1895

  10. #9
    Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHAD View Post
    I've got one of each of those pictured. Of course the '47 doesn't have the notch in the gizmo you slip the blade over. (forgotten my nomenclature) The British HD super speeds are also great DE shavers IME for whatever that is worth.
    Correct. The notched center bars didn't show up until 1948.

    HOWEVER, Gillette was famous for making some mixed parts razors because they they didn't throw anything away when they did design changes, and I have seen an Aristocrat with the handle of a 1948-50 matched to the no-notch head of a 1946-47.

  11. #10
    Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post

    Would this one, made in the good old USA, be a 1946-47 then?
    It is a great shaver, for a DE
    Absolutely!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

    Otto (02-17-2010)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •