Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Senior Member The_Pastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    274
    Thanked: 156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Hello, The Pastor:

    As I understand it, the English Edwin Jagger double edge razors use the shave heads designed by the German Muhle-Pinsel. That is unless further changes have taken place recently of which I am not aware. In essence, then, the Edwin Jagger razors are produced by a joint venture with Muhle-Pinsel.

    To my knowledge, the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth and the 89 series use the same shave heads as the Muhle 89R. I have all three, the Edwin Jagger "Chatsworth" barley (mine is the lined version, which I prefer), the 89L and the Muhle 89R. They are sweet shavers and I love all three. The Edwin Jagger 89 in your photo is the chrome version. I suggest buying the lined version (89L) for better traction on the handle.

    You won't go wrong with these razors.

    Regards,

    Obie
    I am sorry, but I am still a little confused. Are the head in the Chrome EJ, the exact same as the head in the TF&H DE?
    If so, I guess they would shave almost identically?

    The chrome EJ, is ½ the price of the TF&H DE, how can that be? I thought the head was the expensive thing, because it had to be designed with proper angle and so forth.

    As for the handle on the chrome, I dont think I will be able to resist, it is chrome! - yes I am a motorcycle man, I like my chrome, Sir.
    Last edited by The_Pastor; 01-30-2011 at 02:50 PM.

  2. #12
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    10,198
    Thanked: 2729

    Default TF&H DE . . .

    Hello, The_Pastor:

    To my knowledge the heads are the same and, therefore, should shave the same. The only difference I can imagine is how the size of the handle and the weight might influence your shave: that is how you hold the razor to accommodate the weight and size might make a slight difference in your shave. On the other hand, I have both the "Chatsworth" and the 89L and my shave is the same. Consequently the slight difference might not effect your shave, as well.

    The difference in price, I assume, has something to do with Truefitt & Hill stamping its name on the razor. This happens with many companies: put your name on the product and hike the price to maintain your identity.

    As for the Edwin Jagger chrome compared to the lined, obviously your preference matters. The lined is just as pretty as the chrome, with the extra advantage of grip. If you are a chrome man, then go for the chrome. You will do well with either razor. After all, it's the Edwin Jagger 89 series and, I think, one of the finest razors on the market at a reasonable cost.

    This is all so exciting. You will be pleased with these Edwin Jagger razors. I am.

    Regards,

    Obie

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Pastor View Post
    I am sorry, but I am still a little confused. Are the head in the Chrome EJ, the exact same as the head in the TF&H DE?
    If so, I guess they would shave almost identically?

    The chrome EJ, is ½ the price of the TF&H DE, how can that be? I thought the head was the expensive thing, because it had to be designed with proper angle and so forth.

    As for the handle on the chrome, I dont think I will be able to resist, it is chrome! - yes I am a motorcycle man, I like my chrome, Sir.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Obie For This Useful Post:

    altshaver (02-02-2011)

  4. #13
    Senior Member The_Pastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    274
    Thanked: 156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Hello, The_Pastor:

    To my knowledge the heads are the same and, therefore, should shave the same. The only difference I can imagine is how the size of the handle and the weight might influence your shave: that is how you hold the razor to accommodate the weight and size might make a slight difference in your shave. On the other hand, I have both the "Chatsworth" and the 89L and my shave is the same. Consequently the slight difference might not effect your shave, as well.

    The difference in price, I assume, has something to do with Truefitt & Hill stamping its name on the razor. This happens with many companies: put your name on the product and hike the price to maintain your identity.

    As for the Edwin Jagger chrome compared to the lined, obviously your preference matters. The lined is just as pretty as the chrome, with the extra advantage of grip. If you are a chrome man, then go for the chrome. You will do well with either razor. After all, it's the Edwin Jagger 89 series and, I think, one of the finest razors on the market at a reasonable cost.

    This is all so exciting. You will be pleased with these Edwin Jagger razors. I am.

    Regards,

    Obie
    Thank you Sir. This is indeed all very exciting, the DE world is still new to me. I will get both razors, since I suffer from RAD badly anyways.

  5. #14
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    10,198
    Thanked: 2729

    Default TF&H DE . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Pastor View Post
    Thank you Sir. This is indeed all very exciting, the DE world is still new to me. I will get both razors, since I suffer from RAD badly anyways.
    Hello again, The_Pastor:

    You are very welcome. Yes, I would buy both razors, too. After all, beauty is hard to resist. Please keep us informed about your experience with these razors.

    Regards,

    Obie

  6. #15
    Senior Member The_Pastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    274
    Thanked: 156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Hello again, The_Pastor:

    You are very welcome. Yes, I would buy both razors, too. After all, beauty is hard to resist. Please keep us informed about your experience with these razors.

    Regards,

    Obie
    I will be sure to keep you posted.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to The_Pastor For This Useful Post:

    Obie (01-30-2011)

  8. #16
    The Hurdy Gurdy Man thebigspendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    30,393
    Thanked: 4884
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    My understanding with the EJ models like the Chatsworth was the plating process they use is more sophisticated which is the reason for the higher price tag on those. The head design should not contribute to the price but like Obie says you pay for the name. The other issue might be though the head design is the same is the thickness of the metal in the head also the same or is a lighter weight?
    No matter how many men you kill you can't kill your successor-Emperor Nero

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to thebigspendur For This Useful Post:

    Obie (01-31-2011)

  10. #17
    Senior Member The_Pastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    274
    Thanked: 156

    Default

    The razor arrived today.

    At fist it seemed a bit small in my hand, and it only weighs in at 76 grams.

    The look however is stunning. Just as I imagened, its beatyfull. Its not a creme de la creme razor like PILS or Feather, but the look and feel of it gives you a good indication of its quality.
    Being a 100 US $ razor, I consider it to be in the middle of the pricerange of DE razors.



    The head is chromed, with a nice finish. The chrome did have some minor flaws, one place it seem a sandcorn was under the chrome, however, this is only visable, if you take the razor apart and examine it closefully.
    As it stands asampled, the finish is great, both on the chromed head and on the handle. Sure the handle is plastic, but imo it looks good.

    The handle is hollow, meaning that the weightdistribution is that of a heavy head, and a light handle. Something I have not tried before. Complete opposite of the Feather DE all stainless, that carries a very heavy handle.


    The shave:

    I put in a fresh feather blade and prep my face with Proraso menthol preshave creme. Loaded my brush with Tabaco and facelathered/headlathered.
    My bear growth was two days long.
    First pass WTG, short quick strokes. The razor gives a tremendous amount of feedback, with surpriced me. Againg a total opposition to the Feather DE all stainlees, that gives hardly any feedback.
    A nice reduction from the first pass, moving to the head. ATG right of the bat, one little weeper - bang - BBS shave.
    Back to the face,second pass XTG nose to ear. The razor feels comfortable in my hand, I know it can cut me, but the weight allows me to maneuvre it like a Épée, rather than a battleaxe, and I feel confident that I can control it.
    No cuts, yet another fine reduction.
    Third pass, XTG ear to nose, and on the neck I sloped from right ear to left collarbone, that being a XTG/ATG pass. This is something I rarely do due to sorenes and irritation on the neck, but my skin felt like it could handle it, and I thought I would give it a go. I even when ATG on some part of my jawline, again, I rarely do this, and when I do the result is usually painfull.
    A minor weep, was all the damage I took.



    Cold water splash and inpection. WOW - no irritation, no soreness, and a DFS!! Actually one of the closest, most comfortables shaves I have ever had! Period.



    This was such a nice experience, him (the razor) and I are for sure going to be parring up for a long time.



    Because of the good feedback, the easy maneuverment, and the agressiveness about 7/10, I would definitly recommend this razor to beginners! However, pros might also get a great deal of enjoyment from this fantastic razor.
    Last edited by The_Pastor; 02-02-2011 at 02:23 AM.

  11. #18
    Indisposed
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,038
    Thanked: 1195

    Default

    Great review, Thomas! You make this razor sound tempting....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •