Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Getting into DE as well...

  1. #1
    < Banned User >
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Decatur, Georgia
    Posts
    430
    Thanked: 48

    Default Getting into DE as well...

    Got a Jagger DE today and plan to incorporate it into my routine somehow. any advice appreciated.

  2. #2
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    9,200
    Thanked: 2648

    Default

    Hello, Daryl:

    Congratulations. The double edge is fun. I split my time between the straight and double edge the best of two worlds, I'd say.

    Many of the rules you use for the straight razor apply to the double edge: Prepare your face properly, watch your angle, keep the razor pressure low, do some stretching, and try not to go against the grain. I change blades after every three shaves, because I feel most blades begin to lose their edge after the third shave. Finally, keep your razor clean. I scrub the razor with a soft toothbrush and soap every time I change blades.

    Regards,

    Obie

  3. #3
    < Banned User >
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Decatur, Georgia
    Posts
    430
    Thanked: 48

    Default

    yeah i knicked myself under chin on the side going against the grain on my bad hand. Frankly it shaves so smooth and easy it is hard to tell if it is even cutting or what the true angle is.you gotta think 90 degrees to how you are holding it. It did clean up the area across the jawline that my straight cannot get simply because i am too scared to try. It also does the chin much cleaner. Might just limit it to WTG cleanup of what the straight has trouble with. Yeah, best of both worlds and a skill to take with me on the road.

    One thing i now see that I appreciate about the straight is you always know exactly where the blade is and the edge. It is hard to tell on a DE and I cannot feel it cutting at all. Quite likely the edge is more precise on the DE since it is essentially a platinum plated limited use edge manufactured specifically to be trashed after a few shaves instead of having the heft to last honing and stropping for years. They can make them ridiculously thin.
    Last edited by groovyd; 06-30-2011 at 03:08 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Muguser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    119
    Thanked: 15

    Default

    Groovyd,
    I am curious what type of blades you are using in your Edwin Jagger razor. I have had good results with the Astra SP in mine.
    The chin area gave me trouble with straight razors too, it is difficult to make a 90 degree turn while maintaining a 30 degree angle or so.

  5. #5
    < Banned User >
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Decatur, Georgia
    Posts
    430
    Thanked: 48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muguser View Post
    Groovyd,
    I am curious what type of blades you are using in your Edwin Jagger razor. I have had good results with the Astra SP in mine.
    The chin area gave me trouble with straight razors too, it is difficult to make a 90 degree turn while maintaining a 30 degree angle or so.
    I used the feather blade that came with it. I got a bag of other blades that I will try too.

  6. #6
    Senior Member pmburk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Perry Hall, MD.
    Posts
    578
    Thanked: 58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Hello, Daryl:

    Congratulations. The double edge is fun. I split my time between the straight and double edge — the best of two worlds, I'd say.

    Many of the rules you use for the straight razor apply to the double edge: Prepare your face properly, watch your angle, keep the razor pressure low, do some stretching, and try not to go against the grain. I change blades after every three shaves, because I feel most blades begin to lose their edge after the third shave. Finally, keep your razor clean. I scrub the razor with a soft toothbrush and soap every time I change blades.

    Regards,

    Obie
    Obie,
    When you DE shave, you said you do not go ATG, do you go XTG? Along with good pre shave prep, good lather, and good technique just like str8, how do you get a BBS shave with the DE if you are not going ATG?
    Thanks!
    Patrick

  7. #7
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    9,200
    Thanked: 2648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmburk View Post
    Obie,
    When you DE shave, you said you do not go ATG, do you go XTG? Along with good pre shave prep, good lather, and good technique just like str8, how do you get a BBS shave with the DE if you are not going ATG?
    Thanks!
    Patrick
    Hello, Patrick:

    I put little importance on a baby-bottom-smooth (BBS) shave — whatever BBS means. I put the HHT for straight razors in the same insignificant column. Rather, I aim for a good and comfortable shave. With a heavy beard and extremely sensitive skin, shaving my face raw makes little sense to me. After all, the most important aspect of the wet shave with the straight or double edge is enjoyment. By scraping my skin to death just to get that marble shave defeats the purpose.

    My double edge shave starts with the proper preparation followed by three passes of the razor, one with the grain and two across. With the grain is north to south. The two across-the-grain shaves are from ear to mouth and mouth to ear. The same direction covers the neck: from below the ear to the Adam's Apple and then in reverse direction.

    The area on the neck from the Adam's Apple to the chin has always been a problem. Rather than straight south to north, I shave at an angle. That's easier on my skin, and it gives me a smooth shave.

    The chin also takes three passes, one with the grain and two across. For the chin, I stretch the skin (I stretch throughout the whole shave), lower the angle of the razor and shave in mini strokes, almost like buffing. For the lower lip area, I also angle the razor toward the mouth.

    The pattern for the mustache are comprises three pass, one with the grain, one across and one heading at an angle from the upper lip to the nose. I avoid irritating my skin by going against the grain from the upper lip to the nose — and I still get a nice and clean shave in that area.

    Voila!

    A little clean up and buffing here and there after the three passes ends the show. So you see, I need not shave against the grain and risk irritating my skin. I have developed a routine that works best for me, with heavy emphasis on a comfortable shave rather than a BBS.

    Regards,

    Obie
    Last edited by Obie; 06-30-2011 at 09:24 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member pmburk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Perry Hall, MD.
    Posts
    578
    Thanked: 58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Hello, Patrick:

    I put little importance on a baby-bottom-smooth (BBS) shave whatever BBS means. I put the HHT for straight razors in the same insignificant column. Rather, I aim for a good and comfortable shave. With a heavy beard and extremely sensitive skin, shaving my face raw makes little sense to me. After all, the most important aspect of the wet shave with the straight or double edge is enjoyment. By scraping my skin to death just to get that marble shave defeats the purpose.

    Thank you again!
    My double edge shave starts with the proper preparation followed by three passes of the razor, one with the grain and two across. With the grain is north to south. The two across-the-grain shaves are from ear to mouth and mouth to ear. The same direction covers the neck: from below the ear to the Adam's Apple and then in reverse direction.

    The area on the neck from the Adam's Apple to the chin has always been a problem. Rather than straight south to north, I shave at an angle. That's easier on my skin, and it gives me a smooth shave.

    The chin also takes three passes, one with the grain and two across. For the chin, I stretch the skin (I stretch throughout the whole shave), lower the angle of the razor and shave in mini strokes, almost like buffing. For the lower lip area, I also angle the razor toward the mouth.

    The pattern for the mustache are comprises three pass, one with the grain, one across and one heading at an angle from the upper lip to the nose. I avoid irritating my skin by going against the grain from the upper lip to the nose and I still get a nice and clean shave in that area.

    Voila!

    A little clean up and buffing here and there after the three passes ends the show. So you see, I need not shave against the grain and risk irritating my skin. I have developed a routine that works best for me, with heavy emphasis on a comfortable shave rather than a BBS.

    Regards,

    Obie

    Thank you Obie for your thoughts and post. I like your approach and philosophy.
    My problem area is under my jaw line, I shave WTG north to south entire beard area except my chin and under my nose, I have a goatee. I shave ATG on the sideburn areas with great results, and a XTG under the jaw line. After I am finished, if I stroke my neck up to my jaw, it's smooth, but if I stroke it from my ear to Adam's apple, I can feel roughness. Do you experience the same thing?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to pmburk For This Useful Post:

    Obie (06-30-2011)

  10. #9
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    9,200
    Thanked: 2648

    Default

    Hello, pmburk:

    By shaving from below the ear to the Adam's Apple and then in the reverse direction I do get a smooth shave there. Just remember to keep your strokes short and careful. By the way, you are very welcome.

    Regards,

    Obie

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Obie For This Useful Post:

    pmburk (07-01-2011)

  12. #10
    Senior Member pmburk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Perry Hall, MD.
    Posts
    578
    Thanked: 58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Hello, pmburk:

    By shaving from below the ear to the Adam's Apple and then in the reverse direction I do get a smooth shave there. Just remember to keep your strokes short and careful. By the way, you are very welcome.

    Regards,

    Obie
    Thank you again! I'll keep your advice in mind.
    Take care,
    Patrick

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to pmburk For This Useful Post:

    Obie (07-01-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •