Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First Shave With a Safety

  1. #1
    Member themadplumbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 1

    Default First Shave With a Safety

    Ive been after a good shave, i have yet to have one, and have tried every thing that has come out, except the $300 electric, safety and a strait, ive been toying with the notion of a strait, but have been to nerves about them, so i got a safety for x-mas, so today was the first time i could use it, as i lathered up, i said to myself, i dont think this is going to cut it another waist, since its been a few days since ive had a shave this is going to be rough, so i took one swipe, didnt feel anything and said ha, i knew it wouldnt do it! so when i looked in the mirror, there was nothing there, no lather, nor hair! oh wow tell me i found something that's going to work, so i finished the shave, had no problem, no rough pulls(my big problem) and after i dried off, i let my wife look it over and she gave it her approval, its been 6hrs and its still so smooth, i am so shocked, looks like i have me a winner!! JR
    otherstar and markdfhr like this.

  2. #2
    ace
    ace is offline
    Senior Member blabbermouth ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,362
    Thanked: 581

    Default

    Congratulations on a superior beginning, and here's to even better shaves in your future. What kind of safety razor was it?

  3. #3
    Member themadplumbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Congratulations on a superior beginning, and here's to even better shaves in your future. What kind of safety razor was it?
    A Merkur Model 180 Long Handled, gotta get used to the balance of the heavy head.. but i think well worth it! JR

  4. #4
    ace
    ace is offline
    Senior Member blabbermouth ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,362
    Thanked: 581

    Default

    Yep, give it some time. Any new tool requires patience and experience.

  5. #5
    Member themadplumbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Now that i looked at the page it was ordered off of, its not the razor that was ordered, its a Merkur 20C, but its not black but gray, i dont see it anywhere, is it a imitation? JR

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanked: 275

    Default

    If your first shave with a DE razor was that good:

    . . . don't ask any questions !!!!

    Just keep using the razor and whatever blade was in it.<g>

    . . Charles

  7. #7
    THG
    THG is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by themadplumbarian View Post
    Now that i looked at the page it was ordered off of, its not the razor that was ordered, its a Merkur 20C, but its not black but gray, i dont see it anywhere, is it a imitation? JR
    Is it the one with the rubber jacket on the handle?

  8. #8
    Member themadplumbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THG View Post
    Is it the one with the rubber jacket on the handle?
    Theres no rubber, its bare, but with a really rough grip.. i read somewhere that its not rubber, but just colored? JR

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    234
    Thanked: 52

    Default

    From what I see the 20C is a good razor and is at West Coast Shaving. For comparison purposes, Amazon has both razors you mentioned (and prices listed). Unless you're unhappy with the razor or somehow the razor you have, sold for less than the 180 and you feel you (or the buyer) didn't get full money's worth--you seem to have found a good one. If you google both models you can compare information about them as well. I use vintage Gillettes and Gem's when I don't use a straight; however, many really like the Merkurs (and I probably will use one or more too sooner or later).

    But if it works, enjoy.

  10. #10
    Member themadplumbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldsCool View Post
    From what I see the 20C is a good razor and is at West Coast Shaving. For comparison purposes, Amazon has both razors you mentioned (and prices listed). Unless you're unhappy with the razor or somehow the razor you have, sold for less than the 180 and you feel you (or the buyer) didn't get full money's worth--you seem to have found a good one. If you google both models you can compare information about them as well. I use vintage Gillettes and Gem's when I don't use a straight; however, many really like the Merkurs (and I probably will use one or more too sooner or later).

    But if it works, enjoy.
    The 20c is $14 more then the 180 on amazon, (so long as its black) i cant find it in gray, i was just after something that had a high satisfactory rating for my first safety, but its got a good grip, a little thin, over all, the only thing that im not liking is the heavy head, but thats going to be any safety so i just got to get used to it. the other thing i was curious is that if it is a fake, since i cant find it in gray? everything else on it matches, just not the black part, and what is the real description, some say its plastic, some all metal? sorry if i sound too concerned, JR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •