Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Noobie in trouble!

  1. #21
    Senior Member Nuntits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    236
    Thanked: 19

    Default

    My beard grows down from my right ear and makes a turn going across my neck and turns again going up toward my left ear at an angle. ATG is nigh impossible for me to achieve on my throat with a straight

  2. #22
    Senior Member dyimages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    420
    Thanked: 60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntits View Post
    My beard grows down from my right ear and makes a turn going across my neck and turns again going up toward my left ear at an angle. ATG is nigh impossible for me to achieve on my throat with a straight
    Impossible??!! No, I would rather think you just have not found the right mix of angle, technique and testicular fortitude to get it yet, but it will come.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Nuntits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    236
    Thanked: 19

    Default

    Lol I know you are right, but please don't question my testicular fortitude! My beard is truly a finicky one!

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    43
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Thanks for all the comments!

    But again today even after change a few things I have the same result- razor bumps, a little razor burn, stubble look in areas which is under the skin. I have tried to take my time to make sure the angle is right etc Might try the first razor a i bought again. And I hate to say it I may have to go back to the dreaded multi-blade. As although I had some stubble look I did not have the razor burn or bumps. I will getting a straight razor shave middle of next week, and will ask them foe some tips too.
    Last edited by AledJ; 05-12-2012 at 12:18 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Nuntits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    236
    Thanked: 19

    Default

    Just don't give up! You will just have to find your happy medium

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    43
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    I don't want to give up but I can't keep getting razor burn and bumps after I shave, its taken maybe 2hrs for the razor burn to really die down. And I still have red razor bumps. I'll try one more shave with the Weishi 9306-E and see what happens. Looking to laser hair removal, but this will be a last resort option.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanked: 275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AledJ View Post
    Thanks for all the comments!

    But again today even after change a few things I have the same result- razor bumps, a little razor burn, stubble look in areas which is under the skin. I have tried to take my time to make sure the angle is right etc Might try the first razor a i bought again. And I hate to say it I may have to go back to the dreaded multi-blade. As although I had some stubble look I did not have the razor burn or bumps. I will getting a straight razor shave middle of next week, and will ask them foe some tips too.
    PMFJI --

    If you run your hand over a part of your face, and it feels smooth, don't take another pass over that part. If there's no hair sticking up, the edge will just be scraping skin -- razor burn!

    If you still have shadow in that area, there's nothing a razor can do about it.

    b) Given a choice between a dull blade and pressure, or a really sharp blade and no pressure, I'll take the sharp blade every time.

    If you haven't tried it, put a Feather blade into the Weishi. It's a very mild razor. But even so, use no pressure on the razor, especially going ATG. With a delicate touch, you ought to get smooth skin, and no razor burn.

    c) I agree with a previous post -- develop your lather in a bowl, and paint it on your face. There's no reason to scrub your face with bristles. And add a little bit of glycerin or Astroglide to the lather; it will lubricate your skin, and smooth out the shave.

    Charles
    alb1981 likes this.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    43
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpcohen1945 View Post
    PMFJI --

    If you run your hand over a part of your face, and it feels smooth, don't take another pass over that part. If there's no hair sticking up, the edge will just be scraping skin -- razor burn!

    If you still have shadow in that area, there's nothing a razor can do about it.

    b) Given a choice between a dull blade and pressure, or a really sharp blade and no pressure, I'll take the sharp blade every time.

    If you haven't tried it, put a Feather blade into the Weishi. It's a very mild razor. But even so, use no pressure on the razor, especially going ATG. With a delicate touch, you ought to get smooth skin, and no razor burn.

    c) I agree with a previous post -- develop your lather in a bowl, and paint it on your face. There's no reason to scrub your face with bristles. And add a little bit of glycerin or Astroglide to the lather; it will lubricate your skin, and smooth out the shave.

    Charles

    I have just tried to practice the angle of the razor in the mirror, and I can't keep the same angle nor can I tell if i'm scraping or cutting. Should I be shaving every day as today I had about 3 days of hair growth, and also is the ATG passes causing the bumps and burn? As I think it could be but don't know another way to remove those hairs which grow flat to the skin. Could it be my current razor is too aggressive for me ?

    edit: if i look in a mirror close up I can see a bit of stubble but stand a bit further back and I look like I have a clean shave!
    Last edited by AledJ; 05-12-2012 at 07:32 PM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Crotalus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    811
    Thanked: 84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AledJ View Post
    I have just tried to practice the angle of the razor in the mirror, and I can't keep the same angle nor can I tell if i'm scraping or cutting. Should I be shaving every day as today I had about 3 days of hair growth, and also is the ATG passes causing the bumps and burn? As I think it could be but don't know another way to remove those hairs which grow flat to the skin. Could it be my current razor is too aggressive for me ?

    edit: if i look in a mirror close up I can see a bit of stubble but stand a bit further back and I look like I have a clean shave!
    The ATG pass has the most potential to cause irritation.

    Have you experimented with stretching your skin as you make a pass? Stretch it in different directions and see if a direction makes the hairs stick up more (feel rougher). If you can find that then stretch and try a XTG pass and skip the ATG. It should reduce your irritation.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    43
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
    The ATG pass has the most potential to cause irritation.

    Have you experimented with stretching your skin as you make a pass? Stretch it in different directions and see if a direction makes the hairs stick up more (feel rougher). If you can find that then stretch and try a XTG pass and skip the ATG. It should reduce your irritation.
    XTG mean across the grain?

    I have tried stretching but end up removing shaving cream. Will try and upload some pics! I may be being very picky as standing at a normal distance from a mirror (not with the mirror right in my face), its looks ok bit red in places but ok and clean. Its when I look closer that I see the stubble look.

    Not the best camera to really show it off:





    Last edited by AledJ; 05-12-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •