Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member blabbermouth 1OldGI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    3,819
    Thanked: 1185
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Humor from DaBay

    So there I was, putzin around on da bay. When I see the heading "Gold Gillette Safety Razor, Excellent Condition--Not a Fat Boy" When I saw the picture, I immediately spewed beer out of my nose and said to myself "Well no s**t Dick Tracy, where did you park the damn squad car!?"
    Name:  Not a Fat Boy.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  39.8 KB

    This razor not only pre-dates the Fat Boy easily by 30 years, it's non adjustable, open comb and a three piece! Other than that, it could easily be mistaken for a Fat Boy, had the seller not included the disclaimer. My walk through this evening also revealed the following marketing trends amongst sellers. 1. Anything TTO and Gillette is automatically a Fat Boy. 2. Calling something a Fat Boy automatically kicks up the opening bid $20. and 3. (At least in this seller's case) anything that is not a Fat Boy comes with an automatic apology.

    Not that I'm anti-Fat Boy by any stretch of the imagination, I own a 1960 model and it's an amazing razor. Nice heft, great design, feels good in your hands, shaves like a champ, an exceptional razor by any standard. However, my 1908 Single Ring Old Style will shave circles around any Fat Boy out there. That being said, I think I'll pull that one out for tomorrow's SOTD.
    Last edited by 1OldGI; 05-10-2012 at 01:20 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member JackofDiamonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Posts
    423
    Thanked: 71

    Default

    It has been my experience that sellers will put the names of other items in the title, just to simply make their item pop up when the said item is searched. It's clever, but I personally feel those titles are always meant to be misleading. I prefer a detailed description of what I am buying, not a list of what I am not buying.

    Alas, the risks of surfing the bay...

    Cheers,
    JackofDiamonds
    It's just corn syrup... Warm, blood flavored, corn syrup ...

    -TT

  3. #3
    Senior Member Wintchase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanked: 1045

    Default

    You are absolutely correct! That gold combed Filarmoonica is not a Fat Boy! I jjust bought two for 700 a piece! That was a good deal right?.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member DoughBoy68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Crossville, TN
    Posts
    1,649
    Thanked: 301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wintchase View Post
    You are absolutely correct! That gold combed Filarmoonica is not a Fat Boy! I jjust bought two for 700 a piece! That was a good deal right?.....
    I wish I could find two for that price! Did you kiss the person when the deal was finalized?

  5. #5
    -- There is no try, only do. Morty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    501
    Thanked: 167

    Default

    Here's one I know you'll like:

    "Vintage Mens Fatboy Gillette dial adjustable Safety Razor F1"

    Name:  101_0155.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  29.1 KB

    Oh, REALLY!?? So where did Gillette hide the adjustable dial?

    In the seller's defense, he states this in his description:

    ***
    Someone messaged me and said this is a super speed and not a fat boy. I can't research it right now (I thought the F was for Fat Boy) , so until further notice I am not certain this is a Fatboy. Thanks.
    ***

    Ah, well. Someone, somewhere, will pull the trigger and will be happy as a clam to own a "Fat Boy" (the factory stamped F1 on it -- gotta be a Fat Boy, right?) At least the buyer will get a better shave than with what Gillette sells nowadays.

  6. #6
    Senior Member blabbermouth 1OldGI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    3,819
    Thanked: 1185
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Here's one I know you'll like:

    "Vintage Mens Fatboy Gillette dial adjustable Safety Razor F1"

    Name:  101_0155.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  29.1 KB

    Oh, REALLY!?? So where did Gillette hide the adjustable dial?

    In the seller's defense, he states this in his description:

    ***
    Someone messaged me and said this is a super speed and not a fat boy. I can't research it right now (I thought the F was for Fat Boy) , so until further notice I am not certain this is a Fatboy. Thanks.
    ***

    Ah, well. Someone, somewhere, will pull the trigger and will be happy as a clam to own a "Fat Boy" (the factory stamped F1 on it -- gotta be a Fat Boy, right?) At least the buyer will get a better shave than with what Gillette sells nowadays.
    Oddly I have the exact same razor. The F is for 1960. Another non-Fatboy that somehow manages to consistently deliver really good shaves. My razor, however, is an F-2

  7. #7
    -- There is no try, only do. Morty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    501
    Thanked: 167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1OldGI View Post
    Oddly I have the exact same razor. The F is for 1960. Another non-Fatboy that somehow manages to consistently deliver really good shaves. My razor, however, is an F-2
    Yeah, that's why I said "At least the buyer will get a better shave than with what Gillette sells nowadays." I have one, too and like it a lot. Mine is a Y-2 -- my birth year (1953).

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sargon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    494
    Thanked: 36

    Default

    That is pretty much my usual travel razor (the superspeed flair tip, not a fatboy)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •