Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone shaved with no safety bar?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1

    Default Anyone shaved with no safety bar?

    Hi everyone,

    I was in Milan (Italy) this weekend and went to a store were 99.99999% of you would be like kids in a toy store. Amazing place with great shaving gadgets including streight razors made of real elephant ivory and damascus. They also had a fine badger brush with ivory handle...how wrong is that).
    Anyway talking to the 83 year old owner and great guy he told me to take the safety bar off my Mercur Safety Razor to get a shave as close as with a streight razor. I used to shave with streight razor so have the experience but was wondering before venturing into this experiment....anybody here ever tried it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member blabbermouth JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,564
    Thanked: 11039

    Default

    I personally don't think that is a good idea. Gillette, Merkur and others have designed these DEs with optimum efficiency and safety in mind. Removing the safety bar will effectively ruin the razor and make what would be a pleasant shaving experience unsafe and subject you to possible injury. Shaving with a straight razor is one thing and shaving with other implements is another kettle of fish.

    If you want to simulate what that would be like in a safer manner buy a shavette, which is made like a safety razor, and uses DE blades that are snapped in half. Still not a true straight razor shave but at least using the tool as it was meant to be used. IMHO.

  3. #3
    The Hurdy Gurdy Man thebigspendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    30,405
    Thanked: 4885
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    You have think about what makes a safety razor just that. Once you modify it to remove the "safety" parts, well, why not just use a straight to begin with.
    HoracioAR likes this.
    No matter how many men you kill you can't kill your successor-Emperor Nero

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigspendur View Post
    You have think about what makes a safety razor just that. Once you modify it to remove the "safety" parts, well, why not just use a straight to begin with.
    well...the "safety part" was designed so people could shave in an easier fashion without having the learning curve of shaving with a streight razor (notice I am talking about the safety part not the fact you can use disposable blades etc etc etc), but I have already passed that part as I used to shave with a streight before but stopped because I simply dont have the time to sharpen it every morning before work. I still use it on a lazy Sunday.
    I was actually thinking it could be neat to use it this way for the second or third pass...but again wanted to see if it was "commo practice" before I did it. I do love a close shave!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHAD View Post
    I personally don't think that is a good idea. Gillette, Merkur and others have designed these DEs with optimum efficiency and safety in mind. Removing the safety bar will effectively ruin the razor and make what would be a pleasant shaving experience unsafe and subject you to possible injury. Shaving with a straight razor is one thing and shaving with other implements is another kettle of fish.

    If you want to simulate what that would be like in a safer manner buy a shavette, which is made like a safety razor, and uses DE blades that are snapped in half. Still not a true straight razor shave but at least using the tool as it was meant to be used. IMHO.
    Good idea! never saw one before believe it or not...can I use regular DE blades and break them in half? How does one do that is a safe manner?

    Thanks!!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Hello Gallinazorey.

    I use the razor you can see in this post.

    It has not got a safety bar and I find it quite sure. I do not remember to have cut myself seriously and I have never used a straight razor. I must say that I do not use it in the part of the neck... hehe.

    Regards.
    Last edited by belce; 12-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to belce For This Useful Post:

    Gallinazorey (12-11-2012)

  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belce View Post
    Hello Gallinazorey.

    I use the razor you can see in this post.

    It has not got a safety bar and I find it quite sure. I do not remember to have cut myself seriously and I have never used a straight razor. I must say that I do not use it in the part of the neck... hehe.

    Regards.
    That it!! Thats EXACTLY what my Mercur without the safety bar will look like.
    Name:  razor.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  107.5 KB

    so someone here IS using it this way...interesting! thanks

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Name:  mercur.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  32.3 KB

    This is the one I have

  10. #9
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16,036
    Thanked: 3015

    Default

    I don't understand the need to shave with a DE with the safety bar removed. Obviously at least a couple of people have or intend to. Can you imagine the lawsuits against safety razor makers if they actually built them without the safety bar for producing an unsafe consumer product. I am sure they have and that is why they don't make them without a safety bar. Use it that way at your own risk fellas.

    Bob
    Life is a terminal illness in the end

  11. #10
    Senior Member blabbermouth JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,564
    Thanked: 11039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gallinazorey View Post

    This is the one I have
    Does it work for you as is ? If you cut the safety bar and it doesn't suit you it is trash. The shavettes that take a half DE blade you just hold the blade in your fingers and bend. They snap easily. They are "too sharp" for a comfortable shave and you have to be really careful of you'll be bleeding.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyHAD For This Useful Post:

    Bill S (12-12-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •