Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Taking the plunge for real

  1. #11
    Senior Member blabbermouth outback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    9,152
    Thanked: 3738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cudarunner View Post
    Damn! I must be getting old! Ya beat me to it Mike!
    Haven't got a reply from him..yet.!

    I got two nice 11/16 German blades here, a square and round point that I will need to make scales for, and give um a skip.across the stones.

    Hmmm....no brained, for me.!
    Mike

  2. #12
    Senior Member blabbermouth tcrideshd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Oakland Tn
    Posts
    5,352
    Thanked: 1607

    Default

    Maybe it's scraping because of you, but your using a feather maybe not, but maybe WSP doesn't hone so well. Plus the choice of razors. Plus your stropping at this point more than likely ain't great. Take up mikes generous off and use one that's goned right, and isn't a GD. Tc
    Gasman likes this.
    Even better advise, " don't impede on a 850# Harley with me aboard, then I don't care what your driving, my 10 takes care of it"

  3. #13
    The Great & Powerful Oz onimaru55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Beau Dallah, South Coast
    Posts
    15,029
    Thanked: 3597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerstate View Post
    I figure why not tear up this $12 one while Im learning and then get a better one when I get more experience.
    If you're happy to tear up you're first strop you'll get lots of experience shaving with a different razor while your stropped one is getting honed.
    People don't seem to realise that damaging the strop damages the razor.
    Practising on a single piece of newspaper, the width of your strop, held by a small bulldog clip, is good. Too much pressure will make the paper slip from the clip. Also try using a butterknife or similar to develop manual dexterity. Actually, even a tooth brush will work. The motion is similar to twisting a volume knob but use your other fingers to assist.
    Once you can comfortably flip the butterknife 180 back & forth try with your razor then finally move to your paper strop. If you feel you have it wired move to the leather but go slow. A little practice can save a lot in honing fees.... & leather.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that ain't so..

  4. #14
    illegitimum non carborundum Utopian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    11,546
    Thanked: 3792
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcrideshd View Post
    Maybe it's scraping because of you, but your using a feather maybe not, but maybe WSP doesn't hone so well.
    The honing is not quite as true as claimed.

  5. #15
    Member Badgerstate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    35
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outback View Post
    Haven't got a reply from him..yet.!

    I got two nice 11/16 German blades here, a square and round point that I will need to make scales for, and give um a skip.across the stones.

    Hmmm....no brained, for me.!
    Thanks but I'll pass. I like my Gold Dollar, I think it just needed to be stropped.

  6. #16
    Member Badgerstate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    35
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onimaru55 View Post
    If you're happy to tear up you're first strop you'll get lots of experience shaving with a different razor while your stropped one is getting honed.
    People don't seem to realise that damaging the strop damages the razor.
    Practising on a single piece of newspaper, the width of your strop, held by a small bulldog clip, is good. Too much pressure will make the paper slip from the clip. Also try using a butterknife or similar to develop manual dexterity. Actually, even a tooth brush will work. The motion is similar to twisting a volume knob but use your other fingers to assist.
    Once you can comfortably flip the butterknife 180 back & forth try with your razor then finally move to your paper strop. If you feel you have it wired move to the leather but go slow. A little practice can save a lot in honing fees.... & leather.
    I wouldnt say that Im happy to damage any strop but if Im going to while Im learning, Id rather do it to a $12 strop instead of a $100 one.
    outback and Gasman like this.

  7. #17
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanked: 2832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerstate View Post
    I wouldnt say that Im happy to damage any strop but if Im going to while Im learning, Id rather do it to a $12 strop instead of a $100 one.
    True enough, but the point is that if you are damaging your strop while stropping you are degrading the edge not maintaining or improving it.

    Bob
    outback and Gasman like this.
    Life is a terminal illness in the end

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobH For This Useful Post:

    outback (02-17-2018), Utopian (02-17-2018)

  9. #18
    Member Badgerstate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    35
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    True enough, but the point is that if you are damaging your strop while stropping you are degrading the edge not maintaining or improving it.

    Bob
    Obviously. The point is not that I intend to damage the strop but if I do, better it be a cheap one instead of an expensive one.

  10. #19
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanked: 2832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerstate View Post
    Thanks but I'll pass. I like my Gold Dollar, I think it just needed to be stropped.
    I don't think I'd be too quick on turning down the offer of a free vintage razor honed by someone that knows how to hone. If you took the offered razor and shaved with it without stropping it that would tell you how your GD compares. Should the offered vintage razor shave better than the GD then you know that either the GD's edge was not up to snuff in the first place and/or your stropping hurt it. Then strop the vintage razor before the second shave with it and if it shaves worse than the first time you will know that your stropping is hurting the edge. Anyway, it is your choice.

    Bob
    Life is a terminal illness in the end

  11. #20
    Gatling-Gun Jerry Gasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Colorado springs
    Posts
    6,691
    Thanked: 1473

    Default

    Id say you should take Mike/Outback up on his offer. He even lives in the same state as you. And what Bob said is right on the money. Its the best way to test. These are very helpful folks and want you to learn and enjoy this way of shaving.

    Its up to you to make the choice.
    silks, BobH and outback like this.
    It's just Sharpening, right?
    Jerry...

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gasman For This Useful Post:

    outback (02-17-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •