Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Floris . Soap & Balm

  1. #1
    www.edge-dynamics.com JOB15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanked: 383

    Default Floris . Soap & Balm

    Yesterday I popped into Floris on Jermyn Street. One minutes walk from Taylors of Old Bond and GEO Trumper, either side.

    It was from this shop that I purchased my girlfriends favourite perfume, "Cherry Blossom" so I have a soft spot for it and I like the service.

    I decided to try their shaving soap and aftershave balm . No.89.

    The soap has a pleasant scent and lathers well ,it has cushion but lacked slickness to an extent. Although I've been using Castle Forbes for the last few months and I'm a beginner in the Soaps department, normally I always choose shaving creams.

    I took a Torrey 7/8ths and had a great shave. BBS with no sting or weepers.

    The Balm is just what I have been searching for , a thick creamy type that absorbs into the skin, my new number one balm...

    Yes of course I took pictures

    Name:  IMG_2841.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  53.8 KB

    Name:  IMG_2845.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  55.2 KB

    Name:  IMG_2852.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  47.3 KB

    Name:  IMG_2859.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  17.4 KB
    Last edited by JOB15; 08-10-2019 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    www.edge-dynamics.com

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to JOB15 For This Useful Post:

    Obie (02-10-2020)

  3. #2
    www.edge-dynamics.com JOB15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanked: 383

    Default

    oh yes the bowl.

    Name:  IMG_2855.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  43.8 KB
    www.edge-dynamics.com

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to JOB15 For This Useful Post:

    Obie (02-10-2020)

  5. #3
    Senior Member blabbermouth markbignosekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Egham, a little town just outside London.
    Posts
    2,132
    Thanked: 799
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I love Floris 89. Old world elegance.

    Read some bad reviews on the soap so always opted for the cream. Great stuff.
    ScoutHikerDad, BobH and JOB15 like this.

  6. #4
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,430
    Thanked: 2906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markbignosekelly View Post
    Read some bad reviews on the soap so always opted for the cream. Great stuff.
    So did I and that put me off getting any Floris shave soap as they are not exactly inexpensive. Too bad because I'd like to support companies that have been around a good long while.

    Bob
    Life is a terminal illness in the end

  7. #5
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    9,904
    Thanked: 2705

    Default

    JOB, my friend,

    How I envy you for floating on Jermyn Street. On every trip to London I have done the same on that lovely street and visited those shops. That's what heaven must be like.

    Anyway . . .

    It is ironic how some soaps turn out to be inferior to their cream counterparts from the same brand. For instance, Trumper creams are lovely, but their soaps mediocre; Baum.Be cream is beautiful, but the soap not so much; Truefitt & Hill creams are exceptional performers, but if I recall, their soaps could be better, although here I might be thinking of another brand; and if I also recall, Penhaligon's creams are exquisite, but their soaps don't come up to their level.

    This could be the case with Floris, too. It has been a while since I've used Floris.

  8. #6
    www.edge-dynamics.com JOB15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanked: 383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    JOB, my friend,

    How I envy you for floating on Jermyn Street. On every trip to London I have done the same on that lovely street and visited those shops. That's what heaven must be like.

    Anyway . . .

    It is ironic how some soaps turn out to be inferior to their cream counterparts from the same brand. For instance, Trumper creams are lovely, but their soaps mediocre; Baum.Be cream is beautiful, but the soap not so much; Truefitt & Hill creams are exceptional performers, but if I recall, their soaps could be better, although here I might be thinking of another brand; and if I also recall, Penhaligon's creams are exquisite, but their soaps don't come up to their level.

    This could be the case with Floris, too. It has been a while since I've used Floris.
    Hi Obie,
    I am in central London most days and I take advantage of that , from Shoreditch to Knightsbridge.

    It gets to me that England does not produce a world class soap/cream . I will just have to shop more and keep looking
    www.edge-dynamics.com

  9. #7
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    9,904
    Thanked: 2705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOB15 View Post
    Hi Obie,
    I am in central London most days and I take advantage of that , from Shoreditch to Knightsbridge.

    It gets to me that England does not produce a world class soap/cream . I will just have to shop more and keep looking
    Oh, those streets and places bring back such sweet memories.
    For the most parts, you're right about the English soaps, although I find the D.R. Harris soaps and creams both topnotch.

  10. #8
    Senior Member blabbermouth markbignosekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Egham, a little town just outside London.
    Posts
    2,132
    Thanked: 799
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Obie, your right about English soaps and creams, the soaps always fall by the wayside (except D.R Harris) but the creams are second to none. T&H, Penhaligons, Floris, GFT et al are perfect, to me. The sents are exquisite, lathering up is like stepping back in time. I wonder how many English Royals and distinguished gents have marvelled in their wonderful fragrance?

  11. #9
    barba crescit caput nescit Phrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,546
    Thanked: 2657

    Default

    I bought two pucks of this soap, like the OP it is the new formulation, and personally, it was absolutely terrible.

    So terrible I wrote Floris and told them how disappointed I was in the performance of such an expensive soap. It literally disappeared as soon as I lather it. They sent me a full package of two more soaps and the cream, nice of them, but more of the same badly performing stuff didn't help.

    I posted before that I thought perhaps the soap might be geared to DE users, as it is very slick and thin, but don't think that makes much sense.

    I'd found the original formula on eBay, but already sold, and it was very expensive, over $120 for an old puck. The reviews I've read on the original recipe were fantastic, and epic soap.

    Hope you have better luck with it than I did, for me it was a disaster.
    rolodave and JOB15 like this.

  12. #10
    www.edge-dynamics.com JOB15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanked: 383

    Default

    I wish I would have known this before I bought it.. I'm happy with the balm, I will keep telling myself..

    It Sounds like Floris really looked after you, well done ... Once I complained to Penhaligons who never responded , I now boycott their shops..
    rolodave likes this.
    www.edge-dynamics.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •