Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: New to wet shaving, how to reduce razor burn with new straight

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sandy Ego, CA
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Thank you all for the advice. I added my location info as suggested, cudarunner.

    Shaving my cheeks WTG right now feels pretty easy. Is it still recommended that I stick with just that for a while? It doesn't seem like I would progress very far just doing that. Should I stick with the cheeks, but add in XTG and ATG?

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sandy Ego, CA
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    4. Make sure you stretch the skin with your free hand and by tilting your head back. Use alum on your fingers if things are slippery.
    Great tip about alum. Hadn't seen that one before, and my hands have felt slippery when trying to stretch the skin.

    I'm a bit leary of screwing up Lynn's honing with bad stropping so I didn't strop before my first shave, and only a few light laps before my second. I'll have to work up the courage to stop it more before my next shave.

  3. #13
    'with that said' cudarunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Walla Walla in WA State USA
    Posts
    8,296
    Thanked: 3566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by handjam View Post
    Thank you all for the advice. I added my location info as suggested, cudarunner.

    Shaving my cheeks WTG right now feels pretty easy. Is it still recommended that I stick with just that for a while? It doesn't seem like I would progress very far just doing that. Should I stick with the cheeks, but add in XTG and ATG?
    Thanks for adding your location. As via PM there is experienced help very close by.

    Yes I would recommend that you keep just shaving the cheek area UNTIL you feel that your are Comfortable and Efficient with it.

    Then move to the Neck area UNTIL you feel that your are Comfortable and Efficient with it.

    Save Under the Nose and the Chin until last.

    This will allow you to build confidence.

    It's kind of like learning to drive a car. Being able to back it out and back in the drive way starts the basics. Then learning how to drive in town allows you to become more comfortable with the controls and being able to use them proficiently.

    THEN once you feel comfortable driving in town at slow speeds driving on the highway/freeway at much higher speeds wont' be 'Quite' so unnerving!

    Put it in perspective. Would you rather learn in the driveway and then on city streets OR Just be given the keys and drive down the freeway?

    It's really quite similar.

    Quote Originally Posted by handjam View Post
    Great tip about alum. Hadn't seen that one before, and my hands have felt slippery when trying to stretch the skin.

    I'm a bit leary of screwing up Lynn's honing with bad stropping so I didn't strop before my first shave, and only a few light laps before my second. I'll have to work up the courage to stop it more before my next shave.
    Adequate Stropping is Essential to getting a good shave.

    I recommend an average of 25-30 laps on the linen side followed by 50-60 laps on leather. Take your time, it's not a Race!

    Remember that proper form is key.

    I think one of the most underrated 'Tools' in learning how to shave with a straight is 'Patience'. Take your time, with Patience and Practice it will come
    BobH, eddy79 and tcrideshd like this.
    Our house is as Neil left it- an Aladdin’s cave of 'stuff'.

    Kim X

  4. #14
    A Fully-Fleshed Brethren Brenngun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    629
    Thanked: 130

    Default

    If you watch your angle an pressure and still have the problem you may want to try a pre shave product. It helps to lubricate the skin & keep the lather from drying too quickly.
    Keep your concentration high and your angles low!

    Despite the high cost of living, it's still very popular.

  5. #15
    Member OldSalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    95
    Thanked: 18

    Default

    I can add a couple of cents: Just apply lather and shave. Don't lather up, then wait 10 Minutes, rinse and relather. What for? Are you afraid your beard won't be soft enough? A sharp razor will take care of it, believe me.

    By putting warm lather on for so long you are softening your skin which will make it more sensitive to rash. Since you shave slow anyway, the lather will have more than enough time to soften your beard.

    Pre shave actions are to some extent alot of gimmicking and somewhat counterproductive in my opinion if done wrong or too much.

    Now shoot me. :-)

    Best wishes,
    OldSalt
    BobH, eddy79 and handjam like this.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to OldSalt For This Useful Post:

    handjam (02-26-2016)

  7. #16
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,971
    Thanked: 2831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSalt View Post
    I can add a couple of cents: Just apply lather and shave. Don't lather up, then wait 10 Minutes, rinse and relather. What for? Are you afraid your beard won't be soft enough? A sharp razor will take care of it, believe me.

    By putting warm lather on for so long you are softening your skin which will make it more sensitive to rash. Since you shave slow anyway, the lather will have more than enough time to soften your beard.

    Pre shave actions are to some extent alot of gimmicking and somewhat counterproductive in my opinion if done wrong or too much.

    Now shoot me. :-)

    Best wishes,
    OldSalt
    I won't shoot you. If you can't get a decent shave with little to no irritation by simply lathering up and shaving the problem/s is/are not a lack of pre shave prep.

    A pre shave prep may help mask what the trouble is by helping you get past your real problem/s.

    Bob
    Life is a terminal illness in the end

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BobH For This Useful Post:

    handjam (02-26-2016)

  9. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Stropping your razor before shaving with the right angle and pressure will benefit you and your neck. So start stropping and you'll be on your way to very close shaves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •