Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Connecticut Silver

  1. #31
    Senior Member blabbermouth Haroldg48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nags Head, NC, USA
    Posts
    3,120
    Thanked: 805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 57vert View Post
    Attachment 195708

    The R. Wallace & Sons factory in Wallingford CT. Birthplace of your scales.
    i thought the scales looked like my grandmother's silver pattern, which may have been Wallace. Pretty interesting!

    Wallace Sterling Silver - Collector Information | Collectors Weekly
    Last edited by Haroldg48; 03-12-2015 at 11:56 PM.
    sharptonn likes this.
    Just call me Harold
    ---------------------------
    A bad day at the beach is better than a good day at work!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Haroldg48 For This Useful Post:

    sharptonn (03-13-2015)

  3. #32
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    21,836
    Thanked: 7794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeJay View Post
    "Vary"........ Well done.
    Yezzzzzzz! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRob View Post
    Fabulous razor and great reserarch too.
    Thanks, Rob. The history and hunting is the most rewarding thing about these objects, to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by 57vert View Post
    Attachment 195708

    The R. Wallace & Sons factory in Wallingford CT. Birthplace of your scales.
    Cool, Charlie! Looks like a rocking spot! Wallace was in on a Nickel-silver plant before the one you show. Apparently pioneered it in this country. He must have been quite a man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroldg48 View Post
    i thought the scales looked like my grandmother's silver pattern, which may have been Wallace. Pretty interesting!

    Wallace Sterling Silver - Collector Information | Collectors Weekly
    Thanks for the link, Harold! Dang! I had lotsa buds in school in the 70's who would have loved this Wallace Silver Fro-pick!

    Name:  fro pick.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  44.4 KB
    Tarkus, Wullie and Redcane like this.

  4. #33
    Senior Member sashimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    1,380
    Thanked: 125

    Default

    Stunning.
    Harrywally summed all my thoughts up already, so I'll go with the "+1 to what he said"

    Nice work Tom!
    Thanks.
    sharptonn likes this.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to sashimi For This Useful Post:

    sharptonn (03-15-2015)

  6. #34
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    21,836
    Thanked: 7794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sashimi View Post
    Stunning.
    Harrywally summed all my thoughts up already, so I'll go with the "+1 to what he said"

    Nice work Tom!
    Thanks.
    My thanks, Herman!

    I have found that Waterville Cutlery had several incarnations, beginning in 1843 which was shuttered. It was then reincarnated with 50 cutlers imported from Sheffield in 1847 which lasted for 7 years. It was bought and sold several times until it's last run was from 1890-1913. I hope to find from which run this razor came. It certainly seems to have Sheffield influence. Seems much older in style than 1890 to me.
    sashimi and Tarkus like this.

  7. #35
    Mental Support Squad Pithor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    982
    Thanked: 281

    Default

    I'm not a huge fan of any sort of metal or 'fancy' scales, but that's a very nice looking razor, well made. Looks end of the 1800's with some Eskilstuna/Sheffield influences if you ask me, quite refined. I have an Electric Co. 5/8 with a similar faux-frameback look, patented 1890.
    Last edited by Pithor; 03-16-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Not Electric Razor Co.
    sharptonn likes this.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pithor For This Useful Post:

    sharptonn (03-16-2015)

  9. #36
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    21,836
    Thanked: 7794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redcane View Post
    Sharptonn that is in the top 2 or 3 razors I have ever seen. I like simple, very plane razors but that razor is out of this world. I can't stop looking at it.

    It reminds me of something that belongs in the House of Windsor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pithor View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of any sort of metal or 'fancy' scales, but that's a very nice looking razor, well made. Looks end of the 1800's with some Eskilstuna/Sheffield influences if you ask me, quite refined. I have an Electric Co. 5/8 with a similar faux-frameback look, patented 1890.
    Thank you both. You each bring up a preference for simpler razors. I can understand that completely. In fact, this razor has nothing a regular razor has as to components and shave-worthyness. This sort of embellishment is overkill to some. I, also, have some simpler razors I rate as my favorites.
    Still. Cannot hurt, eh?

  10. #37
    Member Robeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    USA, Georgia - The Big A
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Some time ago here in Atlanta folks boasted of the Player's Ball, which was actually nothing more than the Pimp's Ball, which carried all of the hallmarks of their trade complete with sightings of pimps in their fur coats, fancy hats, and of course their women. This razor appears so flashy that it certainly could belong to a Player! When I first saw it, my first reflex was the involuntary utterance "pimp!" While it is certainly a work of craftsmanship, and a fine one at that, something seems oxymoronic here with the juxtaposition of the manly art of shaving expressed in a lady's piece of fine silver. Perhaps all would be reconciled with the thought of a fine lady shaving with it; legs of course.
    sharptonn likes this.
    If I told you I was a liar, would you believe me?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Robeth For This Useful Post:

    sharptonn (03-25-2015)

  12. #38
    Mental Support Squad Pithor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    982
    Thanked: 281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharptonn View Post
    Thank you both. You each bring up a preference for simpler razors. I can understand that completely. In fact, this razor has nothing a regular razor has as to components and shave-worthyness. This sort of embellishment is overkill to some. I, also, have some simpler razors I rate as my favorites.
    Still. Cannot hurt, eh?
    Don't get me wrong, I actually like the combination. It looks beautiful on the whole. Even though overly ornate scales will never be my favourites.
    sharptonn likes this.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pithor For This Useful Post:

    sharptonn (03-25-2015)

  14. #39
    Senior Member 57vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    173
    Thanked: 43

    Default

    I'm a big fan of letting the razor and scales dictate where you go with a clean-up/restoration. A rugged aged blade needs a matching set of scales that show their age. A shiny blade requires clean scales. It's all about balance. In this case, the balance is perfect, outstanding razor.
    sharptonn likes this.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to 57vert For This Useful Post:

    sharptonn (03-25-2015)

  16. #40
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    21,836
    Thanked: 7794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robeth View Post
    Some time ago here in Atlanta folks boasted of the Player's Ball, which was actually nothing more than the Pimp's Ball, which carried all of the hallmarks of their trade complete with sightings of pimps in their fur coats, fancy hats, and of course their women. This razor appears so flashy that it certainly could belong to a Player! When I first saw it, my first reflex was the involuntary utterance "pimp!" While it is certainly a work of craftsmanship, and a fine one at that, something seems oxymoronic here with the juxtaposition of the manly art of shaving expressed in a lady's piece of fine silver. Perhaps all would be reconciled with the thought of a fine lady shaving with it; legs of course.
    Yeah. Like the Player's Ball, I suppose this razor is evidence of the decadence of the past.
    Still, I don't see a pimp, nor a woman named 'Alfred' as I look at it! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pithor View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I actually like the combination. It looks beautiful on the whole. Even though overly ornate scales will never be my favourites.
    Oh, I totally understand. It's pretty common for guys to think ' I would never shave with THAT!' . For me, there is sometimes a bit of trepidation in reaching for a razor of carved ivory, pearl, or silver such as this one. Some of us like things warm, comfortable, simple, and familiar. Still nice to put a rich man's razor to the face on occasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by 57vert View Post
    I'm a big fan of letting the razor and scales dictate where you go with a clean-up/restoration. A rugged aged blade needs a matching set of scales that show their age. A shiny blade requires clean scales. It's all about balance. In this case, the balance is perfect, outstanding razor.
    Thank you sir! I thought the same. Glad you agree!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •