Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Stone Identification? Thuri?

  1. #11
    JP5
    JP5 is offline
    Senior Member blabbermouth JP5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Duluth, GA - Atlanta OTP North
    Posts
    2,546
    Thanked: 315
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    The wife and i went out a couple weeks ago and i found a boker with a worked spine in a case for 30 bucks. Thought i might have got lucky until they opened the case. Broken blade. Ive still never ran across any stones. Maybe we can go out today for a little look.

    Nice find. And three different colors too. You hit the jack pot.
    Blue grey was purchased about a year ago.
    All of these have been bought online. Only nice razor hones I've been able to find in the wild was two (small coti and small Norton trans ark) from a barber estate at an antique shop several years ago.

    How much difference is there in how the colors perform? Aren't the lighter colors supposed to cut faster?
    MikeT likes this.
    - Joshua

  2. #12
    Senior Member blabbermouth Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,321
    Thanked: 498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JP5 View Post
    Blue grey was purchased about a year ago.
    All of these have been bought online. Only nice razor hones I've been able to find in the wild was two (small coti and small Norton trans ark) from a barber estate at an antique shop several years ago.

    How much difference is there in how the colors perform? Aren't the lighter colors supposed to cut faster?
    In my LIMITED experience the lighter colors are a smidge easier for me to get consistent results but I don’t find the difference proportionate to the cost difference.
    outback likes this.
    What a curse be a dull razor; what a prideful comfort a sharp one

  3. #13
    Senior Member blabbermouth bluesman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Denver CO
    Posts
    4,196
    Thanked: 809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    The wife and i went out a couple weeks ago and i found a boker with a worked spine in a case for 30 bucks. Thought i might have got lucky until they opened the case. Broken blade. Ive still never ran across any stones. Maybe we can go out today for a little look.

    Nice find. And three different colors too. You hit the jack pot.
    My first razor ,a 'Hamburg Ring', for $7 with a complete leather dopp kit, was my only flea market success. I never see stones around here, and rarely razors.

  4. #14
    Skeptical Member Gasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    10,182
    Thanked: 2154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesman7 View Post
    My first razor ,a 'Hamburg Ring', for $7 with a complete leather dopp kit, was my only flea market success. I never see stones around here, and rarely razors.
    Well if your not finding many either Victor it makes me feel a little better. Maybe Im not missing them all the time i go out.
    It's just Sharpening, right?
    Jerry...

  5. #15
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    6,553
    Thanked: 3215

    Default

    Nice stones, looks like residue from an Escher end label, I have found a couple with such residue and one with a corner of a blue label, mine are performers, and most probably Escher’s.

    I have a very light grey stone similar to yours, that will produce an edge equal or better than a light green SRD labeled stone. Done a lot of searching and suspect it may be a FASO stone. Faso has a mysterious history and like Escher was an importer of fine stones, Thruigians, Coticules and even Arks. Some say the FASO stones are keener than Escher and there is quite a bit written about them.

    Most of these companies or mines, did not survive WWII and much of the true history is lost, many of the” Mountain Folks” were a big part of the resistance, during the war.

    A good Thruigian is a joy and simple to use capable of producing a smoking edge, very similar to the 12k Super Stone of today and very much similar in shaving edge, though I feel a good Thruigian edge a bit smoother.

    Here is an Escher chart with stone sizes.


    Name:  Escher_Kelch_Kasten.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  33.9 KBName:  escher-end-label-1-2_med_hr.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  43.3 KB

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Euclid440 For This Useful Post:

    JP5 (12-11-2018), MikeT (12-12-2018), outback (12-26-2018), Speedster (12-11-2018), Steel (12-11-2018)

  7. #16
    Senior Member jfk742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Pinole, ca
    Posts
    1,526
    Thanked: 340

    Default

    Nice finds, all I ever come across are boxed carborundums for $100 or more.

  8. #17
    Senior Member CamMorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    130
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfk742 View Post
    Nice finds, all I ever come across are boxed carborundums for $100 or more.
    Yeah, those are plentiful!

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    840
    Thanked: 168

    Default

    Yeap - it is a thuringian . Man i love those stones .
    Steel likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •