Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Hello from Scotland

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Niagara, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,344
    Thanked: 317

    Default

    Welcome to SRP. You found a good razor to start with.

    Sounds like you’re ready to jump down the rabbit hole and join us.
    rolodave and DayCaesar like this.
    David
    “Shared sorrow is lessened, shared joy is increased”
    ― Spider Robinson, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to DZEC For This Useful Post:

    DayCaesar (11-19-2019)

  3. #22
    Incidere in dimidium Cangooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bourget, Ontario
    Posts
    3,519
    Thanked: 1254

    Default

    Welcome!

    As others have said, that's a great looking razor.

    With many (all?) of the things that go into making a great shave with a straight, brush choice is very much a matter of finding what works best for you. Some guys love boar, others badger, and others won't ever go natural after using a synthetic. There's a bewildering array of choices out there, so try not to get dazzled by the options. Get to know the one you bought, and then in time if you like, maybe try something else. That also goes for your razor, strop, soap, etc., and so on. There's a powerful temptation to get more and different gear before really getting to grips with what we have.

    Also, as someone who spent six years as a grad student in St Andrews, can I ask a favour? Please have a pint of 80/- on my behalf. I sure do miss a good pint of heavy...

    It was in original condition, faded red, well-worn, but nice.
    This was and still is my favorite combination; beautiful, original, and worn.
    -Neil Young

  4. #23
    Junior Member DayCaesar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STF View Post
    Has it arrived?

    Exciting eh?

    Just my humble opinion but if it’s shave ready you probably want your fist shave to be with a really sharp edge so if were me I would use it before I put it near a strop if you haven’t stropped before.

    As a relative newbie, I am speaking from experience, stropping is harder than it looks and can really hurt your edge if you do it wrong.

    Luckily there are some really helpful videos on utube and of course lots of useful information in the library here.

    Where did you get your razor?

    Steve
    Yes it arrived on Saturday - it is a beautiful thing. It still amazes me that something probably made for soldiers going into WW1, can be worked on and used 100 years later.

    Thanks for the advice RE not honing it if it's already shave ready, I was thinking the same thing myself.

    I'm going to have my first shave with it this weekend. I've still got a few videos to watch, and as excited as I am to try it, I think it's better to do so at the weekend, when I'm not in a rush.

    I'll let you know how I get on.

    And I bought it on Ebay - you can check out the link on this thread:
    https://sharprazorpalace.com/razors/...w-meaning.html
    rolodave and Speedster like this.

  5. #24
    Junior Member DayCaesar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cangooner View Post
    Welcome!

    As others have said, that's a great looking razor.

    With many (all?) of the things that go into making a great shave with a straight, brush choice is very much a matter of finding what works best for you. Some guys love boar, others badger, and others won't ever go natural after using a synthetic. There's a bewildering array of choices out there, so try not to get dazzled by the options. Get to know the one you bought, and then in time if you like, maybe try something else. That also goes for your razor, strop, soap, etc., and so on. There's a powerful temptation to get more and different gear before really getting to grips with what we have.

    Also, as someone who spent six years as a grad student in St Andrews, can I ask a favour? Please have a pint of 80/- on my behalf. I sure do miss a good pint of heavy...
    Hey and thanks for the welcome and the advice. I think you're right about getting very excited at the beginning and splurging on lots of expensive gear. I've certainly got a tendency to do that. But I know it'll take time to get to know my equipment and see what works for me.

    As for the favour, well it's a tough one, but on Friday night I'm going out, and I promise to have a pint (or two) of 80/- for you

    And perhaps a favour in return. I spent a few months near Perth, Ontario learning about Log Building. At the weekends, we'd always go to these amazing pancake places that made their own maple syrup. God I miss those breakfasts. So, I know it's a big ask, but please have a stack of pancakes smothered in the good stuff on my behalf

  6. #25
    Incidere in dimidium Cangooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bourget, Ontario
    Posts
    3,519
    Thanked: 1254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DayCaesar View Post

    And perhaps a favour in return. I spent a few months near Perth, Ontario learning about Log Building. At the weekends, we'd always go to these amazing pancake places that made their own maple syrup. God I miss those breakfasts. So, I know it's a big ask, but please have a stack of pancakes smothered in the good stuff on my behalf
    Consider it done! Perth is a great little town with a fantastic tool store not too far away, so it will literally be my pleasure.

    It was in original condition, faded red, well-worn, but nice.
    This was and still is my favorite combination; beautiful, original, and worn.
    -Neil Young

  7. #26
    Breaking HAD Speedster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spokane WA
    Posts
    2,832
    Thanked: 688

    Default

    I have this overwhelming feeling that DayCaesar will be warm and comfortable in the rabbit hole.
    --Mark

  8. #27
    Senior Member blabbermouth evnpar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    3,051
    Thanked: 605

    Default

    Sorry for the late response, but welcome to SRP. I think I'll be craving a pint of 80/- and a stack of cakes with real maple syrup all day.
    Richard

  9. #28
    Junior Member DayCaesar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Hello friends,

    Well it's been a couple of weeks since I was last on here, and that's because of a nasty bout of flu. So, I still haven't had my first straight edge razor shave.

    Thought I'd post on here and let you know in case you were wondering....

    Anyhow, I'm almost fully recovered, and will be giving my Ford & Medley a go soon. I'll let you know how I get on.

    DC

    PS Belated thanks to evnpar for the welcome

  10. #29
    Senior Member blabbermouth rolodave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Racine, WI USA
    Posts
    5,770
    Thanked: 1636

    Default

    Keep is posted.

    Be sure the blade has no condensation and rust.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost.

  11. #30
    Senior Member celticcrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil South Wales UK.
    Posts
    4,694
    Thanked: 1293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DayCaesar View Post
    Hello friends,

    Well it's been a couple of weeks since I was last on here, and that's because of a nasty bout of flu. So, I still haven't had my first straight edge razor shave.

    Thought I'd post on here and let you know in case you were wondering....

    Anyhow, I'm almost fully recovered, and will be giving my Ford & Medley a go soon. I'll let you know how I get on.

    DC

    PS Belated thanks to evnpar for the welcome
    Welcome DC, I'm in Wales and I also hone razors for an online retailer from your neck of the woods, The Gentlemen's Groom Room in Dundee Scotland, owned and run by a very nice chap called Ian Thompson.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •