Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 38 of 38
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Blue Titanium Coated Straight Razor

  1. #31
    illegitimum non carborundum Utopian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    11,546
    Thanked: 3793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I think his question had to do with appearance of Damascus steel versus real Damascus steel, but in the case of the titanium coating, they did not say "look we covered it with blue stuff and isn't it pretty?" Instead they claimed a functionality to it that cannot exist.

  2. #32
    Senior Member blabbermouth Theseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,786
    Thanked: 421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gssixgun View Post
    Nice answer Ron, but I am still trying to figure out what the question had to do with the thread ??????
    I guess what I was trying to say in a vague, not completely on topic way is that it is all advertising. Companies have always, and will continue to push the envelope in marketing in order to give their product an edge. Looking at it from this standpoint, the comprison with pattern welded steel is valid.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Theseus For This Useful Post:

    gssixgun (05-02-2011)

  4. #33
    At this point in time... gssixgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sandpoint, Idaho
    Posts
    26,274
    Thanked: 13054
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I get it sorta, but there is no definition of real Damascus steel the recipe was lost, so I guess that's why I did the "Huh"

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to gssixgun For This Useful Post:

    Theseus (05-02-2011)

  6. #34
    Senior Member blabbermouth Theseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,786
    Thanked: 421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gssixgun View Post
    I get it sorta, but there is no definition of real Damascus steel the recipe was lost, so I guess that's why I did the "Huh"
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was going for. True Damscus steel is lost to us but steel makers still use the name to market steel that is only "Damascus" in the way it looks.

  7. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    186
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gssixgun View Post
    I get it sorta, but there is no definition of real Damascus steel the recipe was lost, so I guess that's why I did the "Huh"
    I thought Wootz steel fit fairly well with the microstructures in historic Damascus steel. Of course it is likely there was confusion between pattern welded steels and wootz steel then as well. So I suspect that it is something like wrought iron, which is a material, a process and an aesthetic. And any individual might mean any of those definitions but not others.

  8. #36
    At this point in time... gssixgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sandpoint, Idaho
    Posts
    26,274
    Thanked: 13054
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PonderingTurtle View Post
    I thought Wootz steel fit fairly well with the microstructures in historic Damascus steel. Of course it is likely there was confusion between pattern welded steels and wootz steel then as well. So I suspect that it is something like wrought iron, which is a material, a process and an aesthetic. And any individual might mean any of those definitions but not others.
    Don't know, that is a question for somebody like Mike Blue you might want to start a new thread on it in the Forge many of the steel bangers that hang out there really know that stuff...

  9. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    186
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gssixgun View Post
    Don't know, that is a question for somebody like Mike Blue you might want to start a new thread on it in the Forge many of the steel bangers that hang out there really know that stuff...
    My point is that even if it had one definition originally in modern parlance it can have several overlapping but distinct meanings. So that precisely defining what Damascus steel is can be tricky, like precisely defining wrought iron is tricky. I don't know if anyone has messed with wootz steel for razors and with the carbide bands and such they might not be good, or they might be. I suspect any razor labeled as Damascus is either pattern welded or treated to look that way.

  10. #38
    illegitimum non carborundum Utopian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    11,546
    Thanked: 3793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default


    So, are we done talkin' about the blue razor then?
    onimaru55 likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •